Hands on hatching and help

Just wanted to update in case anyone want to know chick is alive and seems to be happy please see pictures.
(I do have a yellow chick who hatched on Sunday that I am having issues with and posted that on another thread)

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_063224.jpg
    IMG_20230329_063224.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230329_172427.jpg
    IMG_20230329_172427.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 3
I wonder if this is a good place to post this or if I should start my own thread?

I have an egg that hit DAY21 on April 02. Most of the eggs hatched yesterday/finished hatching this morning. This one hasn’t pipped externally or pipped the air cell either from what I can tell (there’s no triangular shadow in the air cell).

I can’t get any movement from the egg by playing chick chirping noises (was able to with a lot of the other eggs) on YouTube and it hasn’t done anything while the other chicks were hatching either.

Is there a way to tell if the chick has passed or if the chick is malpositioned? Or do I have to try and make a safety hole by the air cell?

I just need some advice on what steps to take as this of my first hatch with an incubator and also my last egg so I’m unsure what to do with it at this point as all the others have either hatched or passed due to different circumstances.

I wonder if this is a good place to post this or if I should start my own thread?

I have an egg that hit DAY21 on April 02. Most of the eggs hatched yesterday/finished hatching this morning. This one hasn’t pipped externally or pipped the air cell either from what I can tell (there’s no triangular shadow in the air cell).

I can’t get any movement from the egg by playing chick chirping noises (was able to with a lot of the other eggs) on YouTube and it hasn’t done anything while the other chicks were hatching either.

Is there a way to tell if the chick has passed or if the chick is malpositioned? Or do I have to try and make a safety hole by the air cell?

I just need some advice on what steps to take as this of my first hatch with an incubator and also my last egg so I’m unsure what to do with it at this point as all the others have either hatched or passed due to different circumstances.
There isn't really anything you can do until there's an internal pip
Was there no movement at all when you candled?
Ultimately, give the egg more time.
One sign of malposition is bruising on the egg. If you find any bruises/dark patches on the shell (may not be visible with some shell colours) that could indicate that the baby is trying to external pip outside of the aircell. So just keep an eye out for that. If you see that, it will need an air hole at the bruise, so if one appears take a pic and post here, we can talk you through what to do if it needs help.
Aside from that there's not much you can do right now. It could just be running late.

Here's the Assisted hatching article
Have a read through, it talks about time frames and different steps to assisting, super helpful

One sign of malposition is bruising on the egg. If you find any bruises/dark patches on the shell (may not be visible with some shell colours) that could indicate that the baby is trying to external pip outside of the aircell. So just keep an eye out for that. If you see that, it will need an air hole at the bruise, so if one appears take a pic and post here, we can talk you through what to do if it needs help.
Aside from that there's not much you can do right now. It could just be running late.

Have a read through, it talks about time frames and different steps to assisting, super helpful
I definitely took a read through that article before posting this but I definitely will give it another read over again, thank you!!

You know when the egg was late I make an air hole and check inside

You know when the egg was late I make an air hole and check inside

The chick had been malpositioned, I had a feeling when I made a safety hole on the one side and just couldn’t see a beak through the membrane, no matter where in the air cell I had broken into. I do think something had been not right with it. It shouldn’t have made it that far along I’d think, the yolk was only half absorbed and half of what’s supposed to be yellow was black.

Do either of you know why this is?

This malpositioned chick has been zipped for 3 hours, still trying to emerge. Do I need to do anything?

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_001712389 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230416_001712389 (1).jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 2
This malpositioned chick has been zipped for 3 hours, still trying to emerge. Do I need to do anything?
I was told that a zip should be about an hour. Do you have any other pips? Can you remove some more of the shell at the same area around (not down further) in case it helps the chick push out? Can you see it’s mouth moving still?

I was told that a zip should be about an hour. Do you have any other pips? Can you remove some more of the shell at the same area around (not down further) in case it helps the chick push out? Can you see it’s mouth moving still?

It's peeping, I can see its entire body moving as it tries to emerge. I haven't wet or oiled any membranes or done anything because it seemed all the assist I was seeing was to get them to this stage.
There are large pieces of the shell around the huge crack that have fully cracked all around but I didn't want to risk removing them. This is my first hatch ever, none of the other 7 eggs have pipped yet and I'm waring of intervening too soon. But I'm also not finding much info on this issue at all and it has now been about 4 hours since zip.

It's peeping, I can see its entire body moving as it tries to emerge. I haven't wet or oiled any membranes or done anything because it seemed all the assist I was seeing was to get them to this stage.
There are large pieces of the shell around the huge crack that have fully cracked all around but I didn't want to risk removing them. This is my first hatch ever, none of the other 7 eggs have pipped yet and I'm waring of intervening too soon. But I'm also not finding much info on this issue at all and it has now been about 4 hours since zip.
It’s totally up to you and what you think, but I probably would take a sterile pair of tweezers and take another piece or two off to see if it would help it get the end of the egg off. When I had trouble with one of mine zipping, someone told me a zip should be about an hour. If there’s no other pips, the rest won’t get shrink wrapped. If you decide to do that, make sure the humidity is high and try to do it quickly so the incubator isn’t opened too long.

Back
Top Bottom