Hands on hatching and help

I hope this thread is still active so I got a little baby duckling they popped on the wrong side now the little guy next to him is another one I had to assist and out of my 7 eggs these two I managed to get this far... Little one was inside the shell as he was absorbing but seems to be done mumming his mouth but the shell and membrane is super dry and stuck he seems weak he'll please I don't want to lose my little one he's fought so far....

I hope this thread is still active so I got a little baby duckling they popped on the wrong side now the little guy next to him is another one I had to assist and out of my 7 eggs these two I managed to get this far... Little one was inside the shell as he was absorbing but seems to be done mumming his mouth but the shell and membrane is super dry and stuck he seems weak he'll please I don't want to lose my little one he's fought so far....
How long has it been since he external pip ?
With wrong end babies they take 48-72 hours
The membrane shouldn’t be dry if it’s made it’s own pip and not been messed with
If you have helped then you need to keep it moist with Vaseline

I would just keep the membranes moist with Vaseline or even coconut oil. Breach babies often take a very long time to hatch, so just be patient. What I usually do if the breach duckling has pipped on its own, I gently ease the head (just the head!) out of the shell, giving some more room for the duckling to breathe. But I only do this if it’s been at least 48 hours since the external pip. Hope the baby makes it!

Hi, I have already made a thread about this on the incubating & hatching forum. Please help.

6am, day 19:
I’m starting to get worried. One of my quail eggs pipped at around 7:30 am yesterday morning, meaning it has been 22.5 hours since it pipped. I’m planning on waiting until the 23.5 hour mark to assist.
The egg was moving about and sounded very strong, it even squeaked back when I tried whistling to it. I really thought it would be out by now.
The other two haven’t pipped as far as I can tell, but one was definitely trying yesterday night. I’m not opening the incubator again to check.
There must be something off with the incubator temp, they all seem to have developed slowly. Which is weird, as I had an additional 3 thermometers all reading the same thing as the incubator for the first 14 days before I took them out.

I’m going to leave the late eggs alone, but try assisting at 7:30 am, or 1.75 hours from now.

Any ideas? This is my little pearl quail egg, it’s very important to me, I really don’t want to lose it.

Hello!

How long after artificially externally pipping a duck egg is it safe to wait until investigating a little further. It has been 24 hours and I am planning to wait 36 to see if the duckling is able to externally pip on its own. Upon candling I can see they internally pipped and over the course of the day I have started to hear small amounts of chirping with slight rocking.

If they have external oxygen, even if they do end up being malpostioned and ultimately need help, they will be fine for a while, yes?

Thank you!

Hello!

How long after artificially externally pipping a duck egg is it safe to wait until investigating a little further. It has been 24 hours and I am planning to wait 36 to see if the duckling is able to externally pip on its own. Upon candling I can see they internally pipped and over the course of the day I have started to hear small amounts of chirping with slight rocking.

If they have external oxygen, even if they do end up being malpostioned and ultimately need help, they will be fine for a while, yes?

Thank you!
The rule most follow is 24 hours after internal pip you make a safety hole if they haven’t made an external pip yet
I go just above the beak and only make it as small as the pin on my tac
I don’t make a big hole I can look into
Most will still make their own external pip
If they don’t then 24 hours later I candle and see how things look. By then baby has moved down so more egg is open to look for veins above the air cell area
Once I see the egg completely clear I will make the zip on the cap and let baby push out from there
Usually 24-48 hours after safety hole but find around 36 hours is a sweet spot
You do not need to keep opening the egg more and more to assist
This just causes baby to think it needs ti hatch early and yolk isn’t absorbed
Also then you are messing with needing to wet membrane constantly
The small pin hole allows air and doesn’t dry things out
Babies themselves only make a tiny crack then wait to zip till they are ready

The rule most follow is 24 hours after internal pip you make a safety hole if they haven’t made an external pip yet
I go just above the beak and only make it as small as the pin on my tac
I don’t make a big hole I can look into
Most will still make their own external pip
If they don’t then 24 hours later I candle and see how things look. By then baby has moved down so more egg is open to look for veins above the air cell area
Once I see the egg completely clear I will make the zip on the cap and let baby push out from there
Usually 24-48 hours after safety hole but find around 36 hours is a sweet spot
You do not need to keep opening the egg more and more to assist
This just causes baby to think it needs ti hatch early and yolk isn’t absorbed
Also then you are messing with needing to wet membrane constantly
The small pin hole allows air and doesn’t dry things out
Babies themselves only make a tiny crack then wait to zip till they are ready
This sets my mind at ease! Thank you!

I just candled the egg again (24 hours post pinhole) and the duckling is still yawning a lot so it's definitely busy absorbing.

I'll definitely leave the pinhole alone and check again in another 12 hours (the 36 hour mark) to see how the little one is doing.

Last edited:
This sets my mind at ease! Thank you!

I just candled the egg again (24 hours post pinhole) and the duckling is still yawning a lot so it's definitely busy absorbing.

I'll definitely leave the pinhole alone and check again in another 12 hours (the 36 hour mark) to see how the little one is doing.
Keep us posted
Can't wait to see some baby pictures

Hi, I have already made a thread about this on the incubating & hatching forum. Please help.

6am, day 19:
I’m starting to get worried. One of my quail eggs pipped at around 7:30 am yesterday morning, meaning it has been 22.5 hours since it pipped. I’m planning on waiting until the 23.5 hour mark to assist.
The egg was moving about and sounded very strong, it even squeaked back when I tried whistling to it. I really thought it would be out by now.
The other two haven’t pipped as far as I can tell, but one was definitely trying yesterday night. I’m not opening the incubator again to check.
There must be something off with the incubator temp, they all seem to have developed slowly. Which is weird, as I had an additional 3 thermometers all reading the same thing as the incubator for the first 14 days before I took them out.

I’m going to leave the late eggs alone, but try assisting at 7:30 am, or 1.75 hours from now.

Any ideas? This is my little pearl quail egg, it’s very important to me, I really don’t want to lose it.
Two of the eggs including the pearl baby hatched, one of them died before hatching.
This is Cinni.
PXL_20230918_203833107.jpg
PXL_20230918_203831137.jpg
PXL_20230918_203830087.jpg

And this is Sugar.
PXL_20230918_203835205.jpg
PXL_20230918_203834437.jpg

PXL_20230918_203839078.jpg
PXL_20230918_203837910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom