Hands on hatching and help

Keep us posted
Can't wait to see some baby pictures

While I wait, I was wondering, do you know if making an external safety pip in the egg can actually interfere with the duckling making an external pip as well?

I read it mentioned somewhere that doing this may inhibit the natural response of the duckling to externally pip since CO2 level never drops low enough.

While I wait, I was wondering, do you know if making an external safety pip in the egg can actually interfere with the duckling making an external pip as well?

I read it mentioned somewhere that doing this may inhibit the natural response of the duckling to externally pip since CO2 level never drops low enough.
I have made many at the 24 hour mark anc had them still make their own pip and hatch on their own
That’s why I do a little one

Ok!

It is 72 hours since internal the pip, 48 hours after the safety pip with the chick still alive, peeping, moving, but no external pip of their own. I have opened the air cell and the membrane is quite dry. Using coconut oil and a tweezers, I worked the part of the membrane that no longer has active blood veins back from around the chicks beak and can see its butt faces the air cell with its leg tucked up and around, past it's beak and over its shoulder.

I am going to leave the chick to rest more and warm up but it is no longer yawning or making eating motions. So hopefully the yolk is fully absorbed.

The picture definitely looks scarier than it is due to the shiny-ness of the coconut oil.

My only concern is that it is quite hard to tell what the inner membrane should look like when it is no longer active with blood supply. My biggest worry is to start a bleed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 16951350999077337569015227704453.jpg
    16951350999077337569015227704453.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 11
  • 5-Figure1-1~2.png
    5-Figure1-1~2.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Keep us posted
Can't wait to see some baby pictures
Last one out this morning. Five healthy chicks hatched out of six incubated eggs with two assists. Very tired Cayuga baby and my nerves are absolutely SHOT. This may be my first and only incubation for a loooong time.

Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

• 20230919_112325.jpg
    20230919_112325.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 10
Last one out this morning. Five healthy chicks hatched out of six incubated eggs with two assists. Very tired Cayuga baby and my nerves are absolutely SHOT. This may be my first and only incubation for a loooong time.

Thank you again for your help!
So precious :)!
Congratulations!!
My first hatch I had 6 eggs
All from my newer laying duck
This resulted in small eggs and most needing assistance
I lost one helping to much to soon till I got help on here. One made a bruise at the wrong end and I didn’t realize that means safety hole asap
Lost her too :(
Helped 2 more and they will be 2years old in December
The 2 bigger of the 6 eggs hatched on their own
One more that was the only egg to survive under mom bruised the wrong end and I had to help her
She is also going to be 2 in January
I to said I’m fine incubating but I was right back at it in spring 😂
Since then I hardly ever loose one unless the baby itself has a condition that can’t be helped
Most don’t need help as I learned only incubate over 70 gram eggs
The odd one I help does just fine and now I help others as I have had anything and everything happen in hatches !
Take a hood break to settle the nerves and next time you will have much more knowledge and be less stressed

Ok!

It is 72 hours since internal the pip, 48 hours after the safety pip with the chick still alive, peeping, moving, but no external pip of their own. I have opened the air cell and the membrane is quite dry. Using coconut oil and a tweezers, I worked the part of the membrane that no longer has active blood veins back from around the chicks beak and can see its butt faces the air cell with its leg tucked up and around, past it's beak and over its shoulder.

I am going to leave the chick to rest more and warm up but it is no longer yawning or making eating motions. So hopefully the yolk is fully absorbed.

The picture definitely looks scarier than it is due to the shiny-ness of the coconut oil.

My only concern is that it is quite hard to tell what the inner membrane should look like when it is no longer active with blood supply. My biggest worry is to start a bleed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I would recommend leaving it for now and making sure it doesn't dry out. What day is it on? I'm not sure about the malpositioned part of the problem, but there's an article about it somewhere on here. It's probably on that 'guide to assisted hatching for all poultry' one, too.

I would recommend leaving it for now and making sure it doesn't dry out. What day is it on? I'm not sure about the malpositioned part of the problem, but there's an article about it somewhere on here. It's probably on that 'guide to assisted hatching for all poultry' one, too.
Sorry, didn't realise the baby had hatched.

Can we see baby pics :)

Sorry not too sure of rules around starting a new query whilst another bunch of replies is going on but super keen on some insight please. External pip occurred approx 17 hours ago for this wee button quail egg. It’s mid day 18, went into lockdown end of day 13. No additional progress made towards a zip and pip is at wrong end of the egg. How do I know when & if to step in? Was told that at the wrong end it will require assistance at some stage; just not sure what that stage is? Doesn’t look like I can add an image to this thread. Have posted one on my profile(?) if that’s the right word. Spot the newbie.

Sorry not too sure of rules around starting a new query whilst another bunch of replies is going on but super keen on some insight please. External pip occurred approx 17 hours ago for this wee button quail egg. It’s mid day 18, went into lockdown end of day 13. No additional progress made towards a zip and pip is at wrong end of the egg. How do I know when & if to step in? Was told that at the wrong end it will require assistance at some stage; just not sure what that stage is? Doesn’t look like I can add an image to this thread. Have posted one on my profile(?) if that’s the right word. Spot the newbie.
IMG_7476.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7478.png
    IMG_7478.png
    989.2 KB · Views: 3
I don’t hatch quail but I know for my ducks if they pip at wrong end I need ti add the internal pip time to that external
A normal egg you have internal pip 24 hours then external 24-48 to hatch
With my wrong end babies my external now becomes 48-72 hours
They still need that time frame to absorb so we combine it
Hope this helps you
Often when they do make their own hit in wrong end they can usually hatch themselves it’s the bruised ones that can break the shell I have had to help
After the time frame of whatever a normal quail takes has passed you could slowly start to help
Don’t forget to add the extra internal pip time to his wrong end though

Back
Top Bottom