Hands on hatching and help

Just checked the eggs under my broody. She has 6 doing great! 4 are on day 14, the other 2 are a few hours behind, I started them in the incubator the next day, just in case she had any clears. Didn't have any clear, but one of hers did quit early, so I took that one and gave her the 2 I had started.
Oh the broody is Clara, my first silver duckwing OEGB that I hatched, she's on self-blue OEGB eggs. :)

Awesome!! Good luck!!

Ugh. I think I should just give up with these birds.

Only day 2 and my 2 year old unplugged the heat. It got down to 75 degrees and no clue how long. So frustrating.

Should I just toss all the eggs?

Ugh ...sigh

No, heat loss in the first few days is not necessarily a killer. There's actually been studies on starting incubation for 24-48. Hours I think it is, maybe a tad more, and halting the process.

I really wanted to try hard for once not to bug you guys with constant questions. Sorry.

Where is the link on air cells and how they should look?

There is a link in my signature for my humidity article that has a graph as well.

Well 3 out of 4 of those orpingtons hatched. I thought 2 were dis and only one was going to hatch. Glad o was wrong. There is a 4th in the bator. Not sure about this one. It's now day 24. It was barely breathing. No chirping. I opened it up a bit to verify it had internally pipped. It seems weak so I'm not sure what to do but wait. It's membrane is thick like jelly and seems to be water filled almost. Anyone have this happen before? I had it one time before. It turned out ok but took forever and never did drain... :/

Well 3 out of 4 of those orpingtons hatched. I thought 2 were dis and only one was going to hatch. Glad o was wrong. There is a 4th in the bator. Not sure about this one. It's now day 24. It was barely breathing. No chirping. I opened it up a bit to verify it had internally pipped. It seems weak so I'm not sure what to do but wait. It's membrane is thick like jelly and seems to be water filled almost. Anyone have this happen before? I had it one time before. It turned out ok but took forever and never did drain...
hmm.png
I had this happen in a couple of those jumbo green nn/ee eggs I had that didn't loose enough moisture. One survived and one died after "intenally" pipping upside down and drowing on the excess fluid. That's good that you had hatchers.

I candled this morning on these guineas. I swear, I can see movement in like 6 but I can not see veining at all. I don't like doing guineas. I am really confused at this point...lol The only thing I can do is just keep them in there. 3 look clear, the really dirty one and the one with the detached air cell look contaminated and there's two definite quitters with signs of a small blood ring. Those 4 I will probably toss, especially the dirty one. The rest I'll keep going for a while.

I had this happen in a couple of those jumbo green nn/ee eggs I had that didn't loose enough moisture. One survived and one died after "intenally" pipping upside down and drowing on the excess fluid.  That's good that you had hatchers.

I candled this morning on these guineas. I swear, I can see movement in like 6 but I can not see veining at all. I don't like doing guineas.  I am really confused at this point...lol The only thing I can do is just keep them in there. 3 look clear, the really dirty one and the one with the detached air cell look contaminated and there's two definite quitters with signs of a small blood ring. Those 4 I will probably toss, especially the dirty one. The rest I'll keep going for a while.

With yours did the membrane ever drain or did it stay thick all the way till hatch? Good luck on the guineas. Sounds like a few may be developing. :) I would definitely toss the others. I had one explode this hatch. It was the first. Not pretty at all.. :(

With yours did the membrane ever drain or did it stay thick all the way till hatch? Good luck on the guineas. Sounds like a few may be developing.
smile.png
I would definitely toss the others. I had one explode this hatch. It was the first. Not pretty at all..
sad.png
The membranes were thick and rubbery. The one that lived was an assist. She too had pipped into the bottom, but she had pipped all the way through the shell so I caught it and was able to turn it so the pip was up and she didn't drown on the excess fluid. But even wet the membrane was thick and maybe gel like is a better adj than rubber. Or a cross between the two. Once she was out there was gel in the bottom too like the pictures that were shared on here with the duck eggs.

The membranes were thick and rubbery. The one that lived was an assist. She too had pipped into the bottom, but she had pipped all the way through the shell so I caught it and was able to turn it so the pip was up and she didn't drown on the excess fluid.  But even wet the membrane was thick and maybe gel like is a better adj than rubber. Or a cross between the two.  Once she was out there was gel in the bottom too like the pictures that were shared on here with the duck eggs.

Ugh yeah this one doesn't seem to be thinning out. It's veins are still thick and red. It seems to be growing weaker. Hopefully it will make it..

I have 5 or 6 in my Silkie coop sitting on their feet... :/

The paint I hatched from you is coloring in nice... gotta get pics for you soon...

Yeah, I would love to see pics! As of today it looks like a 4th girl is playing with the idea of joining the broody cult but she hasn't fully committed yet. What do they think when they see one hen go broody?...."oh that looks like fun to sit inside the coop in one place in a hundred degree weather instead of free ranging in the shade"??

This particular hen is my youngest layer, and her first time sitting.  I hope she's as good a momma as the others.  The chicks are due Sunday or Monday, and her first birthday is Tuesday :)

I still can't believe my silkies never were broody.  Did yours quit laying too, or are they trying to create a nest?  Have you tried any of the breaking techniques?

I hope she's a good mama for you too! No nests, per say but I did notice there are a lot of feathers scattered all over the coop. Like, a lot, there's a thin layer over the bedding but not in the next boxes where they are sitting. So I don't know if it's related to them being broody or the time of year. I don't recall this happening last summer when they were young. I have not tried any breaking techniques but that is an excellent idea!! I didn't think of it. I wonder if I put them outside and locked the coop door what they would do? But I do not want them sitting in the run. One girl did that and the boys just kept mating her over and over while she was sitting, it was sad.

Well 3 out of 4 of those orpingtons hatched. I thought 2 were dis and only one was going to hatch. Glad o was wrong. There is a 4th in the bator. Not sure about this one. It's now day 24. It was barely breathing. No chirping. I opened it up a bit to verify it had internally pipped. It seems weak so I'm not sure what to do but wait. It's membrane is thick like jelly and seems to be water filled almost. Anyone have this happen before? I had it one time before. It turned out ok but took forever and never did drain... :/

What happened with the 2 malpos?
I had this happen in a couple of those jumbo green nn/ee eggs I had that didn't loose enough moisture. One survived and one died after "intenally" pipping upside down and drowing on the excess fluid.  That's good that you had hatchers.

I candled this morning on these guineas. I swear, I can see movement in like 6 but I can not see veining at all. I don't like doing guineas.  I am really confused at this point...lol The only thing I can do is just keep them in there. 3 look clear, the really dirty one and the one with the detached air cell look contaminated and there's two definite quitters with signs of a small blood ring. Those 4 I will probably toss, especially the dirty one. The rest I'll keep going for a while.

That's good news, I guess! The call duck eggs were weird too. Mavis came from an egg that had lost all veins and swished around inside. I had totally stopped turning it and thought the egg was dead but left it in because my temps were acting up when I'd remove any quitters. Certain breeds are very different then chicken eggs.

Yeah, I would love to see pics! As of today it looks like a 4th girl is playing with the idea of joining the broody cult but she hasn't fully committed yet. What do they think when they see one hen go broody?...."oh that looks like fun to sit inside the coop in one place in a hundred degree weather instead of free ranging in the shade"??
I hope she's a good mama for you too! No nests, per say but I did notice there are a lot of feathers scattered all over the coop. Like, a lot, there's a thin layer over the bedding but not in the next boxes where they are sitting. So I don't know if it's related to them being broody or the time of year. I don't recall this happening last summer when they were young. I have not tried any breaking techniques but that is an excellent idea!! I didn't think of it. I wonder if I put them outside and locked the coop door what they would do? But I do not want them sitting in the run. One girl did that and the boys just kept mating her over and over while she was sitting, it was sad.
What happened with the 2 malpos?
That's good news, I guess! The call duck eggs were weird too. Mavis came from an egg that had lost all veins and swished around inside. I had totally stopped turning it and thought the egg was dead but left it in because my temps were acting up when I'd remove any quitters. Certain breeds are very different then chicken eggs.

I ended up assisting the malpos but I waited for quite awhile. One started to zip on its own but stalled. The other stopped chirping so I finally helped it out. Both are fluffy and happy in the brooder. One hatched by itself and the last I finally assisted but I don't know if it's going to male it. It's membrane was thick like jelly. It started dripping a yellow goop. The egg was so goopy it started to become sticky really bad. Shell was sticking to my hand wherever the gel touched. I couldn't remove much of the shell but I finally got the chick out. Everything was stuck to it and it's having problems with its neck. Thinking maybe wry neck. I'm not for sure though. It's belly is unhealed and it was starting to get fluids in its beak. I'm praying it pulls through just because of all the heart, sweat and tears I've already put into it. :(

I ended up assisting the malpos but I waited for quite awhile. One started to zip on its own but stalled. The other stopped chirping so I finally helped it out. Both are fluffy and happy in the brooder. One hatched by itself and the last I finally assisted but I don't know if it's going to male it. It's membrane was thick like jelly. It started dripping a yellow goop. The egg was so goopy it started to become sticky really bad. Shell was sticking to my hand wherever the gel touched. I couldn't remove much of the shell but I finally got the chick out. Everything was stuck to it and it's having problems with its neck. Thinking maybe wry neck. I'm not for sure though. It's belly is unhealed and it was starting to get fluids in its beak. I'm praying it pulls through just because of all the heart, sweat and tears I've already put into it. :(

I hate when the chicks get like that. "Sticky" is not even the right word to describe it...should be called "gluey". I had one like that but It did aspirate on the glue before hatching, so that good you got him out in time. If the yolk did not absorb properly then it could be wry neck for nutritional reasons. But in every case of wry neck I've had I was able to easy move the neck and hold it in the right place. Never had one that was stiff. Did you google yet?

Back
Top Bottom