Hands on hatching and help

I hate when the chicks get like that. "Sticky" is not even the right word to describe it...should be called "gluey". I had one like that but It did aspirate on the glue before hatching, so that good you got him out in time. If the yolk did not absorb properly then it could be wry neck for nutritional reasons. But in every case of wry neck I've had I was able to easy move the neck and hold it in the right place. Never had one that was stiff. Did you google yet?

I haven't Google it yet. The neck is now soft this morning. It can't lift it and it's still looking in the same direction. I've been giving it nutridrench. It sucked it right down this morning. I helped it get a bit of water also. It was having more trouble with that but drank some. I feel like I had a chick like this before that got better so I'm hoping this one does too. My youngest is sick with a cold and an ear infection so I feel pretty overwhelmed right now. Not getting sleep and it just feels impossible to keep up with everything in this state. :(

Can someone help? Im a total noob at this. Had a broody hen sitting on a clutch of 14 eggs. 9 hatched and she quit sitting on the others so i put them in a little pail to get rid of thinking they were duds. I forgot about them for like 6 days all caught up in the excitment of the hatched chicks. So as i was cleaning up the back porch i noticed this little peeping sound coming from under a pile of trash in the little pail and the poor little thing was pipping in an unincubated little trash bucket. There was a horrible smell and i noticed one had already tried to hatch but died because the membrane was dried out. So we took the pipped egg inside and the other 3 wich seem cracked but no sign of beaks yet or bad smell. The membrane dried out so bad and the poor thing seemed so week. I took it in my bathroom and turned the shower on for humidity and sat on the floor and tried to zip it myself. I accidentally broke the membrane wich was drying out faster than i could moisten it and shrinking around the poor baby. There was a little blood so i just put the poor thing down and waited and still it didnt break free so i tried to take off the main chunk of shell and tore the membrane with it. The baby is alive and resting on its back in the shell he will kick my finger if i stroke his little foot but seems so weak. I have no clue how to save him. Im afraid to give him back to the mom in this condition because her other babies are actively running around the coop at this point and i have no clue how to take care of him...or her i guess. Should i just wait to see if it moves or force feed it sugar water i dont even know how it survived without incubation. Im freaking out please tell me what to do.

Can someone help? Im a total noob at this. Had a broody hen sitting on a clutch of 14 eggs. 9 hatched and she quit sitting on the others so i put them in a little pail to get rid of thinking they were duds. I forgot about them for like 6 days all caught up in the excitment of the hatched chicks. So as i was cleaning up the back porch i noticed this little peeping sound coming from under a pile of trash in the little pail and the poor little thing was pipping in an unincubated little trash bucket. There was a horrible smell and i noticed one had already tried to hatch but died because the membrane was dried out. So we took the pipped egg inside and the other 3 wich seem cracked but no sign of beaks yet or bad smell. The membrane dried out so bad and the poor thing seemed so week. I took it in my bathroom and turned the shower on for humidity and sat on the floor and tried to zip it myself. I accidentally broke the membrane wich was drying out faster than i could moisten it and shrinking around the poor baby. There was a little blood so i just put the poor thing down and waited and still it didnt break free so i tried to take off the main chunk of shell and tore the membrane with it. The baby is alive and resting on its back in the shell he will kick my finger if i stroke his little foot but seems so weak. I have no clue how to save him. Im afraid to give him back to the mom in this condition because her other babies are actively running around the coop at this point and i have no clue how to take care of him...or her i guess. Should i just wait to see if it moves or force feed it sugar water i dont even know how it survived without incubation. Im freaking out please tell me what to do.

If you have a feed store or tractor supply you can pick up some save a chick vitamins and electrolytes for it. You can also use nutridrench by just putting a drop on your finger and letting it drink it off your finger. The most important thing now is getting it hydrated. If it's going to take to long to get to a feed store you can also use pedialite or Gatorade to help get it hydrated in a hurry. Sounds like you got it out of the shell but if you didn't you can use vaseline or antibiotic ointment without the pain reliever to moisten the membrane. Keep the baby as warn as you can. Find a light you can put it 7nder for now. Even a 60 watt is better then nothing. You can also wrap it in a blanket and keep it close to your skin under your shirt. Get those vitamins as fast as possible. You probably only have a short window to get this stuff. Good luck. :)

Yeah, I would love to see pics! As of today it looks like a 4th girl is playing with the idea of joining the broody cult but she hasn't fully committed yet. What do they think when they see one hen go broody?...."oh that looks like fun to sit inside the coop in one place in a hundred degree weather instead of free ranging in the shade"??
I hope she's a good mama for you too! No nests, per say but I did notice there are a lot of feathers scattered all over the coop. Like, a lot, there's a thin layer over the bedding but not in the next boxes where they are sitting. So I don't know if it's related to them being broody or the time of year. I don't recall this happening last summer when they were young. I have not tried any breaking techniques but that is an excellent idea!! I didn't think of it. I wonder if I put them outside and locked the coop door what they would do? But I do not want them sitting in the run. One girl did that and the boys just kept mating her over and over while she was sitting, it was sad.
What happened with the 2 malpos?
That's good news, I guess! The call duck eggs were weird too. Mavis came from an egg that had lost all veins and swished around inside. I had totally stopped turning it and thought the egg was dead but left it in because my temps were acting up when I'd remove any quitters. Certain breeds are very different then chicken eggs.
I have three at the moment trying to be broody. I am surprised I make it out of the coop alive after I steal the eggs...lol
I am not enjoying doing these guineas I can tell you that. I know what the heck is going on with my chicken eggs, these things got me scratching my head...lol

I haven't Google it yet. The neck is now soft this morning. It can't lift it and it's still looking in the same direction. I've been giving it nutridrench. It sucked it right down this morning. I helped it get a bit of water also. It was having more trouble with that but drank some. I feel like I had a chick like this before that got better so I'm hoping this one does too. My youngest is sick with a cold and an ear infection so I feel pretty overwhelmed right now. Not getting sleep and it just feels impossible to keep up with everything in this state.
sad.png
Have you washed it real good to make sure that it's not "stickiness" that's hindering it from moving?

If you have a feed store or tractor supply you can pick up some save a chick vitamins and electrolytes for it. You can also use nutridrench by just putting a drop on your finger and letting it drink it off your finger. The most important thing now is getting it hydrated. If it's going to take to long to get to a feed store you can also use pedialite or Gatorade to help get it hydrated in a hurry. Sounds like you got it out of the shell but if you didn't you can use vaseline or antibiotic ointment without the pain reliever to moisten the membrane. Keep the baby as warn as you can. Find a light you can put it 7nder for now. Even a 60 watt is better then nothing. You can also wrap it in a blanket and keep it close to your skin under your shirt. Get those vitamins as fast as possible. You probably only have a short window to get this stuff. Good luck.
smile.png
xs 2 I'd try sav a chick electrolyte and or nutri drench. The chick needs to be in the warmth, around 90-95 degrees. Best if it's in a brooder with half the brooder heated so that it can move in and out of the heat as it needs once it's up and moving. No, I wouldn't put it back with momma unless it's healthy and up and moving If it makes it that far then I would try to reintroduce it.

I agree with the others, I just have to say I love "ditsychick"! LOL And that's amazing, 6 days?? Wow.

But, if you do get it up and moving about, the momma chick having so many other, will probably accept it after its a couple days old. Just slip it under her in the dark one night while she is sleeping on them.

What's going on with the other eggs?

Good luck, and I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

I have three at the moment trying to be broody. I am surprised I make it out of the coop alive after I steal the eggs...lol
I am not enjoying doing these guineas I can tell you that. I know what the heck is going on with my chicken eggs, these things got me scratching my head...lol

Have you washed it real good to make sure that it's not "stickiness"  that's hindering it from moving?

xs 2  I'd try sav a chick electrolyte and or nutri drench. The chick needs to be in the warmth, around 90-95 degrees. Best if it's in a brooder with half the brooder heated so that it can move in and out of the heat as it needs once it's up and moving.  No, I wouldn't put it back with momma unless it's healthy and up and moving If it makes it that far then I would try to reintroduce it.

Yes it's nice and fluffed out now thank goodness. It's not the sticky. When it first hatched it's back was extremely hunched and it's feet looked strange also. Things are starting to look formed now but it's still really weak and can't eat yet. It was internally pipped for like 2 days before I helped out. I'm glad I did cause it definitely would have drowned. I kept candling it and it never moved position. Even after hatch it couldn't move. It was so strange. I thought maybe it was weak from how long it took. Internal pip was on day 21 and I finally helped it out day 24. :(

I haven't Google it yet. The neck is now soft this morning. It can't lift it and it's still looking in the same direction. I've been giving it nutridrench. It sucked it right down this morning. I helped it get a bit of water also. It was having more trouble with that but drank some. I feel like I had a chick like this before that got better so I'm hoping this one does too. My youngest is sick with a cold and an ear infection so I feel pretty overwhelmed right now. Not getting sleep and it just feels impossible to keep up with everything in this state. :(

We're getting sick here too and just so much to do in a day!! I'm feeling the EXACT same way today. Plus had to put a hen down. Don't know if it was heat stroke or what but she was half gone by the time I picked her up. Anyway, I know how you feel. :hugs
Do what you can. Human kids come first, then furry kids. Drops of nutridrench and sav-a-chick when you can. You can save some but you can't save them all.

That's an incredible story!! Just need to see if the chick will gain its strength back now. Blood loss, dehydration, everyone has given great advice. How's the chick doing now? Poor baby!!

We're getting sick here too and just so much to do in a day!! I'm feeling the EXACT same way today. Plus had to put a hen down. Don't know if it was heat stroke or what but she was half gone by the time I picked her up. Anyway, I know how you feel. :hugs
Do what you can. Human kids come first, then furry kids. Drops of nutridrench and sav-a-chick when you can. You can save some but you can't save them all.
That's an incredible story!! Just need to see if the chick will gain its strength back now. Blood loss, dehydration, everyone has given great advice. How's the chick doing now? Poor baby!!

Yeah this little one seems to have fluid in its lungs. Hopefully it will expel it all.. :( my little man seems to be on the mend even though he is still coughing. My 4 year old is starting in now and came to bed with us last night.. such a long night..

Thank you everyone! I think hes gonna make it. Gave him save a chick with a medicine dropper every hour and now hes all fluffed up and even running in short bursts (about 5 steps)then he nuzzles down into his pine shavings and naps, which i guess/hope is normal for his age? Now i need to candle the other eggs i guess and then maybe i can take a little break, me and my little ones are sick too lol thank you all soo much

Thank you everyone! I think hes gonna make it. Gave him save a chick with a medicine dropper every hour and now hes all fluffed up and even running in short bursts (about 5 steps)then he nuzzles down into his pine shavings and naps, which i guess/hope is normal for his age? Now i need to candle the other eggs i guess and then maybe i can take a little break, me and my little ones are sick too lol thank you all soo much

Glad to hear it. Hope he keeps improving for you.

Back
Top Bottom