Hands on hatching and help

NEED HELP NOW. I don't know how to use this site--and I don't have time to keep looking for the answer I need. I am making a million mistakes--first timer...

I had only one egg in the bator that was viable upon candling--so I removed 8 and let that one grow, at day 18 I removed him/her to a "hatching box" and she was fine. a week later I added 4 more eggs to the hatching box with her. it's day 21, and one is healthy and out, and another has started--but has been pipping for about 24 hrs!! when he first pipped a bit of a hole--the 1 week old got frightened and attacked it!! (sibling rivalry). anyway--removed the cannibal--but it's taking a long time to come out.

after reading thru some of this--I realize the moisture is probably low. he is in a plastic storage container, with a light and blankets over it. I added some wet paper napkins close by the egg...should I help little? HELP!

NEED HELP NOW.  I don't know how to use this site--and I don't have time to keep looking for the answer I need. I am making a million mistakes--first timer...

I had only one egg in the bator that was viable upon candling--so I removed 8 and let that one grow, at day 18 I removed him/her to a "hatching box" and she was fine. a week later I added 4 more eggs to the hatching box with her. it's day 21, and one is healthy and out, and another has started--but has been pipping for about 24 hrs!! when he first pipped a bit of a hole--the 1 week old got frightened and attacked it!! (sibling rivalry). anyway--removed the cannibal--but it's taking a long time to come out.

after reading thru some of this--I realize the moisture is probably low. he is in a plastic storage container, with a light and blankets over it. I added some wet paper napkins close by the egg...should I help  little? HELP!

Welcome to BYC!

Have you read this?https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Congrats! I thought you were taking a break!! LOL! You always have something in lockdown or hatching. You're the queen of hatching this summer!! :lau
That's so funny and awesome that you took them! I was wondering. :)
Yes, it's true. I've also heard of science classes cutting a piece of shell off the egg and replacing it with plexiglass.

Lmao I was taking a break but then I sold a ton of chicks/roosters so now I have room for more lmao.. :p that would be very interesting. Like having a little window.. :)

NEED HELP NOW. I don't know how to use this site--and I don't have time to keep looking for the answer I need. I am making a million mistakes--first timer...

I had only one egg in the bator that was viable upon candling--so I removed 8 and let that one grow, at day 18 I removed him/her to a "hatching box" and she was fine. a week later I added 4 more eggs to the hatching box with her. it's day 21, and one is healthy and out, and another has started--but has been pipping for about 24 hrs!! when he first pipped a bit of a hole--the 1 week old got frightened and attacked it!! (sibling rivalry). anyway--removed the cannibal--but it's taking a long time to come out.

after reading thru some of this--I realize the moisture is probably low. he is in a plastic storage container, with a light and blankets over it. I added some wet paper napkins close by the egg...should I help little? HELP!
Welcome to the thread! It's not unusual for chicks to pip and be pipped for 24 hours plus. Adding the wet napkins is good. A wet sponge also works well and stas wet longer. If you want to attempt an assist we can help. The important thing is to know when to stop and keep the membranes moist while you assist. If you have tweezers that's the best way to go. Just chip away at the shell to expose some of the membrane and then with a q-tip or cotton ball wet the membrane, make sure that you don't get water in the nose of the chick. Wetting the membrane will allow you to see where the veins are if they are still visible. If the membrane looks clear then you can continue assisting by removing the shell and moitening the membrane. If you come to veining/bleeding stop. You can use cornstarch on a bleeder if you need to. Put it back in the bator, under the warmth and give it more time for the veining to retract and then do a little more repeating the steps until the chick is out.

Yup, that's me...lol

Yay on Mavis! Congrats. Does she have a male???

There are a couple males here but I don't think they are old enough. Plus, they have their own "click" and Mavis is definitely not in it. Lol. But I hope in time she and one of the "he's" will like each other. She laid another today right in front of my in the backyard but it was a soft shell. Those eggs are so weird!
NEED HELP NOW.  I don't know how to use this site--and I don't have time to keep looking for the answer I need. I am making a million mistakes--first timer...

I had only one egg in the bator that was viable upon candling--so I removed 8 and let that one grow, at day 18 I removed him/her to a "hatching box" and she was fine. a week later I added 4 more eggs to the hatching box with her. it's day 21, and one is healthy and out, and another has started--but has been pipping for about 24 hrs!! when he first pipped a bit of a hole--the 1 week old got frightened and attacked it!! (sibling rivalry). anyway--removed the cannibal--but it's taking a long time to come out.

after reading thru some of this--I realize the moisture is probably low. he is in a plastic storage container, with a light and blankets over it. I added some wet paper napkins close by the egg...should I help  little? HELP!

It can take a very long time (over 24 hours) in perfect conditions. You just have to make sure that everything is going good. Do you hear the chick peeping? Does the hole where he pipped seem to be turning tan or brown? There are two membranes. The outter membrane and the inner membrane. The outter membrane looks like paper and is right under the shell and usually what you see when the shell is cracked. Inside of that is the inner membrane. This is connected to the chick and holds the veins/blood that the chick is absorbing while its pipped. If you do need to help the chick out, you can't until all the veins have been absorbed by the chick. If you rip a vein in that inner membrane the chick can bleed out. Also, the chick is absorbing yolk too, which most likely won't be fully absorbed until the veins are. You can moisten that inner membrane and check for veins. This will let you know if the chick is ready or not and Amy pretty much covered what to do from there.

Great! Just keep an eye on him and have some vaseline or antibiotic ointment w/out pain reliever handy... dab that spot of membrane with some on a qtip, it'll keep it moist... and if it gets shrink wrapped on the other end, do the same there... :)
He cracked out more but on the wrong end, his beak is out but his feathers seem to be drying :c i want to pull back the membrane but i still see some small veins

He cracked out more but on the wrong end, his beak is out but his feathers seem to be drying :c i want to pull back the membrane but i still see some small veins

Candle the big end with the air cell and trace the air cell... carefully, use a sharp drywall screw or a drill bit (by hand) twist it into the shell gently til you make a pip hole in the air cell... then chip off the shell and just the first membrane layer all around inside the air cell area... use some vaseline or antibiotic ointment to moisten the inner membrane so you can see those veins...
You want to expose those veins because those are the ones you need to make sure are receded before helping... a lot of the veins you can see from the small end stay there when they hatch, so those won't help to tell you when it's ready...

Candle the big end with the air cell and trace the air cell... carefully, use a sharp drywall screw or a drill bit (by hand) twist it into the shell gently til you make a pip hole in the air cell... then chip off the shell and just the first membrane layer all around inside the air cell area... use some vaseline or antibiotic ointment to moisten the inner membrane so you can see those veins...
You want to expose those veins because those are the ones you need to make sure are receded before helping... a lot of the veins you can see from the small end stay there when they hatch, so those won't help to tell you when it's ready...
He hatched! But his legs are bent when he stands :c is that normal??

Back
Top Bottom