Hands on hatching and help

Glad to hear you are ok!!! One of my fears is getting a concussion while working in the coop and being out cold. My babies are sweet for the most part, but I am pretty sure that they would pick my bones clean in I was laying there unconscious.....lol  
Babies are adorable.

Was it on the she said/ he said?  I can imagine who if it was.  And thank you for correcting the awful and potentially harmful advice that was given over there a couple days ago.  I'm about to go to the mods with this one.  The non sense posts that no one understands, the refusal to quote and the not using the threads for what they were meant for is getting on my nerves terribly and it's copy and pasted to both of my threads, so not only do we have to see it once, but repeated.

Thanks
1f60a.png
I know what you mean lol. I didn't get knocked out in the horse stall thankfully but I sure saw stars! I can't even remember exactly how the horse clocked me in the head but I finished taking care of the last coop after it happened and was just trying to get it all done and get back in the house as quick as I could. All 4 of my kids were in the house when it happened (with my 13 year old looking after everyone before his school bus came).
Scary!

That thread and several others. I really hope I caught that fast enough because the poster never responded back when asked how the baby was doing
hmm.png
It's exactly who you think it is. They're on several threads I follow. Honestly I've considered going to the mods myself. Perhaps we should consider a group pm with one of them.
That's an idea. I asked that poster yesterday for an update I think and there was no response. I hate that. I want to know..lol

I know I'm new to the site, but I'm in if you need volunteers
thumbsup.gif
I figured we could count on you!!! lol

Thanks
1f60a.png
I know what you mean lol. I didn't get knocked out in the horse stall thankfully but I sure saw stars! I can't even remember exactly how the horse clocked me in the head but I finished taking care of the last coop after it happened and was just trying to get it all done and get back in the house as quick as I could. All 4 of my kids were in the house when it happened (with my 13 year old looking after everyone before his school bus came).
Scary!
Ouch!!!

Thanks
1f60a.png
Scary!

That's a scary situation to be in ..glad you're okay ♡♡
When my daughter was 3 , I had her in the barn with me and thankfully I had put her in the tack room (I usually let her play in the arena or hay pile) when I was leading a stallion to the breeding post where a mare was waiting.. he reared up and I didn't move fast enough and when he came down, he hit me on top of the head with his jaw.. I dropped like a rock. He went straight to the mare and my daughter was safely in a closed room but it could have been a much worse scene when I came to..

Yay!!! I just candled my eggs, (day 6 now) and looks like most are alive. :celebrate

2 blood rings, and a few still too dark to tell. One lil baby was moving like crazy! :love
This is so much fun!!
-Banti

Last edited:
That's a scary situation to be in ..glad you're okay ♡♡
When my daughter was 3 , I had her in the barn with me and thankfully I had put her in the tack room (I usually let her play in the arena or hay pile) when I was leading a stallion to the breeding post where a mare was waiting.. he reared up and I didn't move fast enough and when he came down, he hit me on top of the head with his jaw.. I dropped like a rock. He went straight to the mare and my daughter was safely in a closed room but it could have been a much worse scene when I came to..

Oh wow!! Now that's scary! Glad you both were ok too!

So it's hatch day over here and I'm freaking out!!! I have 7 external pips right now! YAY!!! But this poor guy pipped first about 8 hours ago. He has made a giant hole very quickly early on, and is peeping loudly. But, he hasn't made any other progress. I am worried he can't move to zip! He is able to stick his beak all the way out of the hole. So I know he is at least breathing well. I am scared to death to open the bator with so many other pips... But, it's killing me!! I swear he's screaming for help. Lol. If you don't have tons of experience please don't confuse me ;) thank you so much for your reaponses!

So it's hatch day over here and I'm freaking out!!! I have 7 external pips right now! YAY!!! But this poor guy pipped first about 8 hours ago. He has made a giant hole very quickly early on, and is peeping loudly. But, he hasn't made any other progress. I am worried he can't move to zip! He is able to stick his beak all the way out of the hole. So I know he is at least breathing well. I am scared to death to open the bator with so many other pips... But, it's killing me!! I swear he's screaming for help. Lol. If you don't have tons of experience please don't confuse me
wink.png
thank you so much for your reaponses!
Eight hours is still early and some hatchings can be very vocal. My rule of thumb is to not interfere for 18-24 hours after the pip because the chick needs time for the egg to chick vascular system to shut down and sometimes they still have yolk to absorb. Helping too early can cause bleed out in chicks because the veining to the egg is still very prominent. Keep an eye out on that membrane though as a lot of it is exposed and makes it easy to dry out. If it starts turning brownish/yellow and looking leathery, you'll want to pull it out moisten the membrane and check the inner membrane to make sure that it is not sticking to the chick. You can apply a light coat of bacitracin or neosporin- w/o pain relief to the membrane to keep it from drying out while you wait for the chick to progress.

So it's hatch day over here and I'm freaking out!!! I have 7 external pips right now! YAY!!! But this poor guy pipped first about 8 hours ago. He has made a giant hole very quickly early on, and is peeping loudly. But, he hasn't made any other progress. I am worried he can't move to zip! He is able to stick his beak all the way out of the hole. So I know he is at least breathing well. I am scared to death to open the bator with so many other pips... But, it's killing me!! I swear he's screaming for help. Lol. If you don't have tons of experience please don't confuse me
wink.png
thank you so much for your reaponses!
Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

For a few months @RubyNala97
  and I have talked about having a thread for Hands on Hatchers to come together and for help for those who want to be more involved or don't want to accept the "Never help a chick" theory.  People have different methods of hatching, and that's ok. When you find something that works for you, you do it. Don't worry about what other's views are, as long as your method is working- that is what is important. This thread is meant for us hands on people.  A place to come together and talk, exchange our "hands on" methods, or seek help in assisting or just to see how our methods really do work for us. We aren't a thread to debate the differences for hands on/hands off, there's a thread for that. We are strictly for people  that want to experience hatching in it's entirety w/out being literally yelled at because you are doing it different or because you are being hands on. OH no you opened your incubator at hatch???  That's ok, here we understand and will help anyone who needs it regardless of wether you did something we wouldn't. One of the greatest and most knowledgeable things is candling, and you shouldn't be afraid to do it.

A little about myself: I use an old LG incubator with fan attatchement, and I have awesome hatches. My last was 100%. I prefer a low humidity incubation method, and a high hatch humidity. I am VERY hands on. I open my incubator frequently during hatch and I have NEVER lost a chick that has pipped or started zipping. I seldom have post hatch mortality and my chicks are very healthy with no leg problems. And I am more than willing to assist my chicks if I feel it is neccessary. Why am I saying this? Because these are the things that a lot of hands off hatchers will swear to you will happen if you are not hands off. I respect a hands off hatchers philospohies and that's great for them. But I hate the fact that some would condem and put down those of us that don't share their philosophy. So if you are looking for a place to share your experiences and excitment in being hands on, without the worry of being scolded or threatened you won't be helped in a time of need, feel free to jump in and inroduce yourselves. Tell us a little about your methods and share pics of your flocks and chicks. 
I would like to be in your group I'm new to chickens and how do I post a picture of them

Back
Top Bottom