Hands on hatching and help

Well I ordered it. I went ahead and got the auto turner as well. I can do it manually but I have 4 kiddos. One im still nursing. They take up alot of my time. With the auto turner it just frees up my time a little lol. I'm always busy if not with the kids then the chickens or dogs. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world though.. :) thanks for your help. :)

I hope you like it! If you have any questions about it I'll be happy to help you out :)

after a very sleepless night and so much questioning, i have movement and chirping from the 2 eggs with the safety hole, thank goodness. they are following a very normal pattern now for an external pip. membranes look fantastic, humidity is running smoothly, and i know now that they are definitely internally and externally pipped and alive and now we just coast until thursday or they hatch. WHEW.

after a very sleepless night and so much questioning, i have movement and chirping from the 2 eggs with the safety hole, thank goodness. they are following a very normal pattern now for an external pip. membranes look fantastic, humidity is running smoothly, and i know now that they are definitely internally and externally pipped and alive and now we just coast until thursday or they hatch. WHEW.

:yesss:

Has anyone ever used coconut oil for moistening the membrane?  If you believe all the hype around it, it's supposed to have some antibacterial properties, as well as being moisturizing.

I've heard this too. I had a $3 off coupon for organic coconut oil, so I bought one just to use at hatch time. I used it in my last hatch. The only thing is that it's really hard when you take a little scoop out, so I stuck it under the brooder light for about 15 seconds and it was good to go.

thank you so much. i think i am going to set an alarm and wake up every few hours to make sure everything is ok. is there a way to know if the inner membrane has dried out? i would assume that there is no real way the inner membrane could dry out and the outer one not show signs? i put bacitracin around the safety hole, careful not to seal it back shut, and i upped the humidity to 75ish like it suggests in the assisted hatch guide.  

i'm really torn. my gut, and what i saw last night versus what i saw this evening, make me think that even if i didn't make the perfect choice, i didn't make a terrible choice. my biggest encouragement is that there was so much chirping right away. but there is still that deep nagging fear that i made the very wrong choice because i just haven't learned enough yet. i guess worrying about it isn't going to do a whole lot to help me get to tomorrow, eh?

Don't worry, it's ok. As long as you didn't make the safety hole to big then the inner membrane won't dry out. That's why I asked how big it was. Your humidity sounds good. You're keeping a eye on them, so I think you're doing great. They will start to progress (usually) when they are ready.

Personally I love my Brinseas. I have two, one Eco 20 and one Eco 40, and I'd never go back to Styrofoam incubators after having them. That said, lots of people love their hovabators and they would have a larger egg capacity than the less expensive Brinseas.

As for the other incubator you posted, I don't have any experience with it. Personally I'd stick with one of the other options you are considering, as they are more "tried and true".

X2
I have the brinsea Eco 20 too. Temp does not move the whole incubation. In my house during spring it gets cold at night and really hot during the day and my temp is solid.

Are yall ready for some more cuteness overload?

I cannot get over how cute this is. We have at least 4 so far.
big_smile.png

You are not kidding! I looked at these pics like 5 times each!! Congrats, grandma!

Haha, thanks! Like you said the other day, my phone is also full of chick/duck pics. Plenty need deleted because they are usually so hard to get good shots, but these were all so perfect, I couldn't decide which ones to post!
big_smile.png

And I'm so proud of that OEGB Momma. For her first time, she is doing so well. Lets me reach in and peek around. My duck, on the other hand, I cannot get within 5 feet of her, and she goes all snake-neck quacking crazy on me! They are due to hatch any time now too.

Back
Top Bottom