Harry horse & Charlie adventures! Horse chat & much more! Everyone welcome!

Pics
He's a thoroughbred (ex racer) :D

He only raced from 2 - 5 though as he just wasn't fast enough. He had a year off until he was 6 then came back into work and I got him when he was 7.

They certainly do and in more ways than one. They get a bad name over here as lunatics who can't be tamed or you can't do anything with. So far I've had 14 fabulous years with Harry and I wouldn't swop a minute. Yes he's had his moments of crazy behaviour but nothing that could never be handled or sorted out. They have a lot to give and once you get used to their quirks and how they tick they give you everything :)

We raised Thoroughbreds when I was a kid, and if they are treated well, they are very reasonable horses. We did "rescue" a few over the years that had some behavioral problems, but most of that was poor treatment... being locked in a stall all the time, getting hit in the face, starved. I've seen them weave (rock back and forth constantly), chew wood, cribbing (sucking air), and guarding food. Little TLC and pasture life got them back to normal. The head shy mare never got completely trusting, but you just had to move slow around her, and she'd be pretty good. We even had a stallion, and he was very gentlemanly around my mom and me.

We raised Thoroughbreds when I was a kid, and if they are treated well, they are very reasonable horses. We did "rescue" a few over the years that had some behavioral problems, but most of that was poor treatment... being locked in a stall all the time, getting hit in the face, starved. I've seen them weave (rock back and forth constantly), chew wood, cribbing (sucking air), and guarding food. Little TLC and pasture life got them back to normal. The head shy mare never got completely trusting, but you just had to move slow around her, and she'd be pretty good. We even had a stallion, and he was very gentlemanly around my mom and me.

That's so true on them being treated well Wishing. You really do get out what you put in. Good to read your rescues came round in the end. It can be so hard to gain their trust again and it sounds like you did a fab job :)

They certainly do and in more ways than one. They get a bad name over here as lunatics who can't be tamed or you can't do anything with. So far I've had 14 fabulous years with Harry and I wouldn't swop a minute. Yes he's had his moments of crazy behaviour but nothing that could never be handled or sorted out. They have a lot to give and once you get used to their quirks and how they tick they give you everything :)

That surprises me that they have that reputation in the UK. They have the same reputation in the US. I've always enjoyed my TBs and their special little quirks. My oldest turned 19 in April and acts more like a nine year old! She is very spoiled!

I was always nervous to get one because of that lol as ashamed as I am to admit it. I heard they were crazy or too "hot"/energetic etc. and thought i wanted a calm, quiet horse lol

Idk what kind I would get if I ever got one.

I've always thought maybe Quarter Horse or Paint or something but now you guys are starting to change my mind on TBs haha

I was always nervous to get one because of that lol as ashamed as I am to admit it. I heard they were crazy or too "hot"/energetic etc. and thought i wanted a calm, quiet horse lol

I've always thought maybe Quarter Horse or Paint or something but now you guys are starting to change my mind on TBs haha
I think it might depend on what you want it for. For serious trail riding you might be better off with Paint or QH. TBs are great for jumping and dressage, although I know some that were used for trail riding and did very well. I think it depends on the individual's training and experience. If you just want a pet and do a little riding, get a nice gelding like Harry. :love I've never been around other breeds, though, so it's hard to compare.

Well, I would definitely call my TBs hot and energetic, but not crazy. All of mine have come off the track and that does put a lot of stress on them in their early days, and each horse handles it differently. Each one has also had its challenges too, whether it be physical (bowed tendons) or behavioral (aggression). I would definitely try to meet as many TBs as you can to see if it may be the breed for you. :)

:frow

Hope everyone is well?
Everyone seems to have been busy lately for riding so I've been out on my own with Harry. I was expecting him to carry on with no pals but he's been remarkably good :D

IMG_0463.JPG

Not got out as often as I would like either, the weather has been very changeable and no way am I going out in this!

Back
Top Bottom