has anyone dealt with bresse farms?

Stay away.
I ordered Bresse chicks from them. Two thirds of them are splashed when they should have been white.
Now this is a trait that shows up naturally in the white Bresse, but a reputed breeder would work to remove it from its gene pool.
My chicks from Greenfire Farms are healthy, textbook white Bresse. Not a single black feather. The ones from Bresse Farms are definitely not.

Now, clearly, you get what you pay for. A chick from Greenfire is going to run you $29, whereas Bresse Farms will sell you hatching eggs for around $5 a piece, I think. Greenfire breeds true to breed (and are the original importer of that landrace into the U.S.). Bresse Farms breeds for volume. I doubt they put much effort in culling out the birds that don't exhibit the right attributes.
I'm definitely not ordering from Bresse Farms again. Learned my lesson.

Terrible experience with Bresse Farms. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks. Order totaled $260 including shipping. My order was delayed by one month. I received 11 Rhode Island Reds (pictured), 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, 1 Blue Bresse, and 6 possible Swedish Flower Hens. Also 1 unknown DOA chick. Two of the Swedish Flowers have vaulted skulls. Something breeders would cull for in this breed, but normally you wouldn’t produce these at all as you should be breeding any crested to non-crested. I questioned Justin about the RIR chicks. Sent him high quality photos of them. He said no, those are SFHs. Clearly, they’re not. Then I realized two others were Wyandottes. Lastly, found out one was a blue Bresse chick. I had posted about it in a group on Facebook and the Swedish Flower Hen breeders all said no way those are SFs. Also two of his customers commented they had similar experiences with him. So I called him out on it. He then claimed there was a computer system error and I got 9 RIRs and 15 SFHs. No, those numbers weren’t right either and the label on my box also says 21 SFHs were packed. He finally refunded me $120 for 12 SFHs, but he owes me for 14. Says he’ll send the other $20 tomorrow. Keep in mind I didn’t get any refund for $60 shipping. My personal opinion is that he could not fulfill my order so filled it with what he could. Would never do business with this guy again. Now I’m out $140 and left to care for a bunch of chicks I didn’t want.

Attachments

• D174B095-6B31-4E10-8EEA-7C041EC694BF.jpeg
    D174B095-6B31-4E10-8EEA-7C041EC694BF.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi, I ordered a dozen eggs from them. Much to my surprise, Justin shipped them out on a Friday! On Monday the eggs were to be delivered so I waited for the mail. Later that afternoon I heard the mail carrier's truck, looking out the front window I could see the carrier back up into my drive pulling all the way up to the house, gets out of his truck, walks up to the porch and then tosses the box onto the porch. He was gone before I could get to him!
Not totally the USPS fault, there were no warnings on the box such as "Hatching eggs" "Handle with care" or "Fragile", nothing. The eggs were packed very well in memory foam and none were broken. After candling them all had detached air cells. Some of the eggs were dirty and some were odd shaped! After candling a few days later only 2 (fertile) were alive out of 13 eggs. Wasted a lot of money, never again will I order from them, Very bad experience!!

Hi Lisa,
I am in FL too. The farm I think you are referring to is also in FL.
Originally I found them though an ebay listing. I have 14 eggs in bator now.

Packed Teally well for shipping . Individually in bubble wrap well spaced n layered amongst packing peanuts n single layer plastic.
they had a short trip, I let settle 36 hours then set, candled several hours after arrival - froth in one.
candled before set, definite dark (yolk?) In a few. Shell color making difficult on some.
won't know about veining for a rew more days.

The weather here makes it an iffy prospect ALL the time USPS does for the most part do a good job, No guaruntee on viability.
had 9 from in FL 1 hatched, previously had eggs from AZ, 1 of 3 survived

Best of Luck (n science)

I took on some extra cockerels from a friend who did a "resupply" order from them instead of Greenfire. 5 came here to grow out, hoping for 1 to keep for the breeder pen. None of them were suitable, much smaller than what I already had and they all lacked the width, built very narrow in the chest. Perhaps it was just a certain line from them... but I wasn't impressed and didn't retain any of the 5. Granted, 5 is a very small sample.

I'm really happy with the Bresse and Dwarf Orlandsk chicks I got from Bresse Farms...

But I never saw one in Hawaii to compare mine with others.

I know why I chose Bresse Farms over Greenfire~

$4.99 for white Bresse chicks, $12.99 for black and blues... $9.99 for Orlandsk Dwarfs; and $30 for the Deathlayers I'm saving up for...

With live chicks guaranteed!

I really appreciate the fact he offered to juggle my order after I sent a money order, so that I could get 2 blue and 2 black Bresse chicks too, because he knew I'd need them for a decent breeding project; and he wanted me to get blue Bresses too: even though it cost him money!

Not many people are like Justin anymore...

That's why I searched for a place to leave this review here.

Obtw... Bresse Farms, is in Mississippi.

Back
Top Bottom