Has anyone ever crossed a Cayuga with a Magpie? UPDATE PIC PG 3

Ducks-R-Us

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Dakota
My Magpies recently started laying eggs but my Magpie drake has not been interested in the hens at all- he is still young. Anyway, I have a Cayuga drake that become real interested once I put them in his pen. Their eggs are now fertile and I did put a few in the incubator just because I couldn't resist.
roll.png
Now my questions is what am I going to end with?
hmm.png
Magugas? or Caypies?
Has anyone have any pictures of these?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a "Mayuga" - I only hatched out three but they are all similar. All black with a white bib. I expect they will look like a black sweedish once they grow up.

37433_img_1401.jpg

I tried to get a better picture but none of them would hold still.

Thanks for the update! One of my ducklings from my blue Magpie drake and Black duck (of unknown parentage) cross looked fairly similar though the yellow spot on the chest was smaller. This is what he ended up looking like: You might get a nicer white chest more like a blue or black Swede. I think I only mentioned the solid black duckling in my previous post, but I'm guessing this one resulted from the pairing as well. I don't have a duckling picture, because he came from a batch of eggs that hatched three days later than the first group. I bet yours will be quite nice - please update us again in several weeks. It must be fun to have babies as winter descends upon us.

31977_rusty.jpg

Yes, they will be mutts!
tongue.png
But will they be nice looking mutts!

The best dog I ever had was a mutt, maybe this will be the start of something!

I had two drakes, a Saxony Runner and a VERY active Magpie in a mixed flock with 3 ducks a Magpie, a Saxony Runner and a beautiful black duck of unknown parentage. It wasn't apparent that the Saxony Runner drake fathered any of the offspring (and my gut feeling is that he might be sterile). I ended up with one with several pure Magpie ducklings, several Runner mixes (that looked more like Fawn and Whites) than anything else and one gorgeous black duck who I'm certain was the result of the black duck and Magpie pairing. The black momma duck was lighter weight and more upright than her black daughter (who is a gorgeous black, with no white coloration anywhere). I had thought that any ducklings from the black duck and Magpie would have some white coloring, but I did get this pure little black one and I'm suspicious that the Fawn and White colors resulted from the Magpie/Saxony Runner cross as they are all more Runner shaped.

I'm not sure of the genetic mechanism (though I make some attempt to understand it), so don't know if this gives you any clue to what you might get or not.

Below is my black 'mom' duck and her brood (the pure Magpies hatched a few days later) - she was setting on eggs that were from both her and the Saxony Runner duck. / A picture of the two Magpies (the drake had the solid cap) / and a picture of the solid juvenile black duck (she was younger then but now is more Magpie shaped and a lovely dark glossy black with green and turquoise sheen).

31977_delilah_ducklings.jpg

31977_adult_pair.jpg

31977_shine.jpg

Back
Top Bottom