Has anyone heard of Chicken (Rooster) trying to Mate with Guinea

Is there any advantage to crossing chickens with guineas, or is this just simply a "just 'cuz" thing? Do they grow faster or bigger? Lay bigger eggs or more eggs? Does the meat taste different?

Is there any advantage to crossing chickens with guineas, or is this just simply a "just 'cuz" thing? Do they grow faster or bigger? Lay bigger eggs or more eggs? Does the meat taste different?
It sounds like in farm settings it's usually a accident. Hybrid birds often die much earlier than the parent species. I would think they would grow faster than the slower maturing parent species. Meat would probably be different as well

One of my geese mates regularly with his chosen Pekin duck. The duck won't have anything to to do with the duck drake. No eggs have hatched and I don't think the species can cross. Just too weird​

Our chicken yard is like a free for all! Turkeys trying to top guineas, roosters trying to top guineas and chickens. We've not witnessed a guinea trying to top anything other than a guinea. However... have you ever had this happen... and I have video to prove it... one MALE turkey started setting on a guinea nest. The other MALE turkey started trying to set on the same nest. Went to check them one day and they had split the one nest into two... and ended up hatching two guineas. Unfortunately neither made it. We just had my daughter's wedding but when I recover I'm going to post the video to youtube.

That is hilarious and so graphic....sounds a little like my backyard. We have birds of every size shape and color and not one of them realizes they are different species...sometimes I think people should take direction from them:) OH and BTW congratulations on your daughters wedding.

Last edited:

These are absolutely beautiful birds on this link. I would have never imagined. I have young keets and am going to integrate them into my chicken flock, but I was picturing their offspring being ugly football shaped, bald headed , straggle feathered birds with feathered legs and pointed conedheads. They will be Cochin/Guineas. Maybe we could ccall them Gochins? Cant wait to see them.
wee.gif

I raised three Gunieas and A Rooster all from about the same age together, they are about 4 Months old now and they pal around all day long, There own little crew.

Back
Top Bottom