Has Anyone ordered Americanas/Araucanas From Mcmurray Hatchery?

austrolover1

Songster
Dec 14, 2015
Hey! I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered Americanas/Araucanas from Mcmurray hatchery? If so, please let me know what you think of them and post pictures of them when they are chicks and fully mature. Thanks!!!

X2 on FowlStuff; I've ordered them from Murray McMurray on several occasions in the past and what MM sells is Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If you're not familiar with the differences, there's a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the differences between true Araucanas, true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. The only hatchery that breeds and sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery which breeds Blue Ameraucanas and they charge 5 times as much for them as they do their Easter Eggers. No hatchery breeds and sells true Araucanas which are rumpless blue egg layers. They have to be purchased from a reputable breeder. Having said all this, I like MMs Easter Eggers but you need to purchase them with the understanding that that's what they are.

I've had EE from MMM on and off over the years and been very happy with them. I've had blue and green egg layers both. I don't have chick pictures but a few adult pics...

As explained above, what you get from MM is Easter Eggers - that being said, just received an order from them today that included 5 EE chicks (ordered being well aware of what they actually are) and they are big, healthy chicks with nice fluffy faces. So far there is an interesting variation in color on the chicks so I am curious to see how they end up feathering out as they mature - another fun part of getting EE vs. true bred birds that fit within the recognized color varieties.

Same here they were the biggest of the three breeds I bought this time when I got them.
As explained above, what you get from MM is Easter Eggers - that being said, just received an order from them today that included 5 EE chicks (ordered being well aware of what they actually are) and they are big, healthy chicks with nice fluffy faces.  So far there is an interesting variation in color on the chicks so I am curious to see how they end up feathering out as they mature - another fun part of getting EE vs. true bred birds that fit within the recognized color varieties.

X2 on FowlStuff; I've ordered them from Murray McMurray on several occasions in the past and what MM sells is Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If you're not familiar with the differences, there's a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the differences between true Araucanas, true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. The only hatchery that breeds and sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery which breeds Blue Ameraucanas and they charge 5 times as much for them as they do their Easter Eggers. No hatchery breeds and sells true Araucanas which are rumpless blue egg layers. They have to be purchased from a reputable breeder. Having said all this, I like MMs Easter Eggers but you need to purchase them with the understanding that that's what they are.
And here is my Ameraucanas article, from Backyard Poultry in 2007, that talks about the three.
http://AmeraucanaAlliance.org/DnLd/Ameraucanas.pdf

I don't have experience with MM hatchery but I do know that Cackle offers Black Ameraucanas this year :) They are very pretty birds!

Back
Top Bottom