Has anyone used one of those shed kits?

Those kits only include the angle braces and a meterials list. They would make construction quicker than framing it up from scratch, but where is the fun in that? Sometimes you need to have a reason to swear like a sailor.

I stumbled across a site today that offers prefabbed sheds that are custom or you can just buy the plans.. Their prefab kit prices seem kinda steep but I guess that's what you get for semi-custom.. Anyway, their shed plans look pretty decent and complete but I've not actually bought anything from them yet.. We're pondering one of their larger sheds (12x20) but had some questions we needed answering first.

Anyway, perhaps they'll work for someone here..

http://www.summerwood.com/

click on "plans" if you want after the page loads.

P.S. No affiliation here -- not related in any way to them!!

omg! That's the one we used! Reasoning behind it...no angles to cut! )I say 'we' loosely, DH and his Best Good Friend Frank did most of the work, I got to be the Foreman - delegation, it's what I do best
lol.png
)

I think ours came together quite nicely - check out the pics I posted! Got it at Northern Tool, lumber from Lowes, made about a million other trips, but it worked.

No one here is a carpenter - James and Frank are welders though - so I guess same concept different medium - did most of it without a ladder even (did have to drag the ladder out to get the roof on) but really, just a power drill, saw, hammer, kitchen chair, some band aids, 'nother trip for more band aids, gave up on the hammer, screwed everything down instead
tongue.png

I say go for it - it couldn't have been that hard if that's where my chickens are sleeping tonight!

Total cost - no clue at the moment, maybe I will add it up tomorrow - I would guess less than $500 and that's including the materials for the run and a new circular saw after I left ours in the bed of the truck, tail gate down, forgot it was there, drove off, and it died...it wasn't my fault the saw didn't have it's seat belt on!

Go for it and if you need help interpreting the instructions, pm me - they are REALLY vague, so the boys kept coming in and asking me..."what do you think this means?" and I would go out, scope it out, and point them the right way (musta been the right way, that little coop is a freaking tank!)

Anyways...can't wait to see how it turns out. It's like watching an episode of "As the Coop Turns" around here!

ETA: When I say the "one we used" I am referring to the kit on ebay - the framer kit that is just angles and a materials list - that's the one we used!

Last edited:
I wanted to go with a wood kit but thought it was so expensive. We built from scratch and ended up spending twice as much.

It's easy to get carried away.
th.gif

omg! That's the one we used! Reasoning behind it...no angles to cut! )I say 'we' loosely, DH and his Best Good Friend Frank did most of the work, I got to be the Foreman - delegation, it's what I do best
lol.png
)

I think ours came together quite nicely - check out the pics I posted! Got it at Northern Tool, lumber from Lowes, made about a million other trips, but it worked.

No one here is a carpenter - James and Frank are welders though - so I guess same concept different medium - did most of it without a ladder even (did have to drag the ladder out to get the roof on) but really, just a power drill, saw, hammer, kitchen chair, some band aids, 'nother trip for more band aids, gave up on the hammer, screwed everything down instead
tongue.png

I say go for it - it couldn't have been that hard if that's where my chickens are sleeping tonight!

Total cost - no clue at the moment, maybe I will add it up tomorrow - I would guess less than $500 and that's including the materials for the run and a new circular saw after I left ours in the bed of the truck, tail gate down, forgot it was there, drove off, and it died...it wasn't my fault the saw didn't have it's seat belt on!

Go for it and if you need help interpreting the instructions, pm me - they are REALLY vague, so the boys kept coming in and asking me..."what do you think this means?" and I would go out, scope it out, and point them the right way (musta been the right way, that little coop is a freaking tank!)

Anyways...can't wait to see how it turns out. It's like watching an episode of "As the Coop Turns" around here!

ETA: When I say the "one we used" I am referring to the kit on ebay - the framer kit that is just angles and a materials list - that's the one we used!

Do you happen to have any pics of the finished product? I'd love to see it together and how the nesting boxes and roosting bars are arranged. We're considering the same type of adventure and I'd sure love to see what others have done!

Back
Top Bottom