Hatcheries near Pottstown, PA?

BeakCosby

Hatching
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Long story short - I walked into tractor supply company intending to buy lawnmower tires with my son and daughter and they both fell in love with the idea of having a pet chicken. We built a coop as a family project which is nearly finished (and didn't manage to squish any fingers), but now chick days are over at TSC.

I built the coop with an eye towards the TSC minimum of six chickens so they would be comfortable. The problem now is - where the heck do I get only six chickens? Everything online I see says the mail order minimum is 15 to 25. I would vastly prefer to pick them up in person just for the experience for the kids but also because I need feed.

Are there any hatcheries in the valley forge or pottstown area? How do folks go about getting smaller lots of chickens? (I had considered buying eggs to incubate for that experience but I don't want to eventually explain why all the boy chickens vanished into the stewpot).

Nearly all Feed stores have baby chicks/ducks/turkeys near Easter/Spring time. I don't live in that area, but if I were you, I would check out the local Feed Store (or animal/pet store). If they don't have chicks (or they're sold out) ask them wen they will receive more. Good luck!

An update:
I've been throwing emails back and forth with dheltzel in my spare time and he has been exceedingly helpful and kind. If anyone is in the area I would suggest contacting him and seeing what he has.

I live just north of Allentown there is normally a bunch of postings on craigslist.

Lancaster Fancy Fowl has no minimums for local pick up...they have a very nice website and huge variety I have turkeys guineas and chickens from them. Very happy with them and they really take raising their fowl seriously ;) They are on fb too

Back
Top Bottom