Hatching incubated eggs in cartons?

How do you hatch?

• in egg cartons

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • lay the eggs on their side

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
Oh Renee they are sooo pretty!! Juicy and Fruitie, the back one looks like a girl to me! Tootie is a dollbaby, but dont feel alone, lots of mine dont like me! They do seem to get better when they get to laying age though.

Thank you. I've gotten one reply on the gender thread and it was two cockerels
sad.png
but I guess if they both do turn out to be cockerels it won't be so bad. They aren't related to Tootie (
fl.gif
she is a she) or related to some pullets I have on order for Spring.

I apologize if this has already been asked here, but I can't find it. There is a lot of discussion about using the cartons starting at lockdown for hatching. My dad proposed using them from the start, but I just haven't seen that done, so I imagine there's got to be a good reason. I imagine it is a bit awkward to turn them in a carton?

I apologize if this has already been asked here, but I can't find it. There is a lot of discussion about using the cartons starting at lockdown for hatching. My dad proposed using them from the start, but I just haven't seen that done, so I imagine there's got to be a good reason. I imagine it is a bit awkward to turn them in a carton?

I think most people that use cartons just tilt the whole carton at one time. Stick a block under one end, then shift it to the other end when its time to turn.

I don't use cartons but with egg turners, it's just a tilt back and forth so it could be done in cartons as WVduckchick mentioned. I used rings that I made out of a paper towel roll to hatch in. I had the eggs tilted a bit as they would be in a natural nest. It worked fabulously.

Back
Top Bottom