Hatching my first KONZA!!!

Oh wow! 6 broody turkeys?! Yep, you need them to set more eggs.
wink.png

Looking forward to seeing all your chicks & Sulmtaler chick too!
big_smile.png

X2

Aint THAT the truth!!! lol
gig.gif

Renee said she would send me some more eggs . . . . hoping for a better hatchrate this time.
fl.gif

I set the eggs the same day as close to midnight as I can keep myself awake . . . and let them warm up to room temp during that time. I may need to rethink when I start turning the eggs--- perhaps delay the turning.

Honestly these chicks don't look special at all-- look like plain old yellow or black chicks.
hide.gif
. WIll have to weight them allong the way.
big_smile.png
ANd put them on the 27% and see if that makes a diff, hmmmmm. crap. Far more expensive to raise them on 27% as that is about 21$ and the 22% is only $17 ( which has gone up abut 1-2$ this last year.)

I suspect it would be better int he long run to raise them on the less expensive feed . . . .An increase of 5% for $5 is huge!!

( Spent the day with 2 sick kids , and running them to the doc and appts. STREP!!!! I knew it was. Now to get meself to doc. I" SURE they wil require s strep test to charge the insurance despite 2 kids with it and I feel worse than they do. I'm having flashbacks to when I was VERY sick 30 years ago untreated strep lead to mono . . . NOT doing THAT again. Just NOT!!!!!!!)

Oh wonderful!!!!!
fl.gif

I"m sitting here by the window where I can hear everything, and at first I was startled to hear a pack of coyote, muffles and unclear . . . then it became distinctive. THe old owl is hooting!! I have never seen him but every year I get to listen to his beconing calls. Man he covers a lot of area-- he can be anyware 360 around the house. We try to be wild life friendly and while yet an owl COULD grab a chick . . . I"m ok with that. He is an old friend,
love.gif

Last year I bought a hen's choice assortment from Renee and I hatched a Konza but it didn't make it...operator error. I did successfully hatch a choc rock from Renee and she is my favorite girl
l

I was such a dismal incubator operator that I swore off incubators and decided to just use broodies. I wanted to hatch more Konza since that first debacle. When I had two silkies go broody at the same time as Renee was running an ebay auction I jumped on it. Well then one of them broke just when broody fever hit Renee's Konza pen so there was a delay in shipment and I had to give my remaining broody home grown eggs ...she had been on golf balls too long already.. so master hatcher and fellow Northern Californian ronott1 agreed to have the eggs sent to him. She sent 18 and they are set to hatch on the 4th of July.

I am thrilled and on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for starting this thread I will be so interested in the progress of your chicks and how they feather in, personality etc. It will help the next 2.5 go more quickly for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom