Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

Quote:
I had a chick in one of my hatches this year with the same problem. I tried everything to help it and the leg just got worse until it was almost backwards. If your chick is very young like one or two days you might be able to help it but much older than that I think it is too painful to do anything and better to humanely euthanize. I am not a fan of euthanizing by any means but I had my chick for 7 weeks and he developed sores on his belly because he used his belly to replace his second leg. It was really sad. Next time I will cull early on if I see this defect again.

Good luck with your chick

I am surprised, he was getting around a little better without the booties but feet still curled and made him drag sometimes. But with his little homemade shoes on he is all over and on his feet. He is more used to them today and trying to keep up with everyone else. I keep telling everyone "my guinea got his guinea shoes on". Like the song "Billys got his beer goggles on".
lau.gif

I just hope it works.
The one that had the worst feet died this afternoon.
sad.png

That little one is so cute......with his duck shoes. Good luck....hope it works. I'm in the middle of a hatch now.....4 out a day ahead of schedule......all feet look OK for now.
smile.png

Quote:
I couldn't do it myself I actually took mine to my local vet and they euthanized it for me for 6$. If I did it myself I would always wonder if I had hurt them.

I'm not exactly sure how to euthanize a chick, but we just had to do in a hen last week. We used a garden rake and put her head on one side, body on the other, stepped down on the rake and snapped up her feet. It wasn't something I wanted to do, but she had egg yolk peritonitis. It was over very quickly. The snake I killed put up more of a fuss. I guess I would do something like that only on a chick scale. So sorry you have to euthanize one, it's no fun but sometimes necessary. I hate to see them suffer.

Back
Top Bottom