KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello, hope you're all having a good day!

I've been doing research on hatching eggs without shells using a cup, plastic food wrap, a cotton ball, distilled water, and calcium lactate powder. I think the first people who did it were high school students in japan, or scientists, (not sure who did it first though). So my question is, can quail be hatched in a cup similarly to how people hatch chicken chicks in a cup? Would you just add less of everything (example: less calcium lactate and less distilled water) and use a smaller cup? Also, for pumping in pure oxygen on day 17 (im assuming day 14-15 for quail) can you use a fish tank oxygen pump?

(edit) I forgot to ask what kind of incubator you use for this kind of thing, since I know you probably couldn't use one of the small ones made for holding eggs. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Hello, hope you're all having a good day!

I've been doing research on hatching eggs without shells using a cup, plastic food wrap, a cotton ball, distilled water, and calcium lactate powder. I think the first people who did it were high school students in japan, or scientists, (not sure who did it first though). So my question is, can quail be hatched in a cup similarly to how people hatch chicken chicks in a cup? Would you just add less of everything (example: less calcium lactate and less distilled water) and use a smaller cup? Also, for pumping in pure oxygen on day 17 (im assuming day 14-15 for quail) can you use a fish tank oxygen pump?

Thanks!
good questions. give it a try.

I'm planning on doing it as a project for my biology class, and I'm really excited so I'm definitely going to try!
I would advise you to figure out the difference of weight between a chicken egg, and a quail egg. A kitchen scale would really help with that. Then that would give you an idea what the difference of the chemicals and water to use. Keep me posted.

I read some of the thread, it's really cool that you tried! I might still try doing this but i'll be prepared now in case they die. (that probably sounds awful sorry :()
Ok!
It sounds fine! Just definitely be prepared. Bacteria was the main killer. My chicken eggs made it to day 19 before dying from the bacteria. Where gloves if you touch them, and change the gloves between each egg. Bleach the incubator before starting, keep everything SUPER clean. And keep the humidity high, around 65% the whole time. What kind of incubator do you have? A still air incubator would probably work best. The fan in forced air incubators dries the embryos out fast. And, I highly reccomend starting them in the incubator intact for at least 5 days, or they won't have a good vein network. They formed really poorly and died in the first week when I opened them before setting them.

Back
Top Bottom