Hatching with 2 broodies

OMG! I think I have twins in an egg!!!!!
ep.gif

HELP! I know it's very unlikely they can hatch themselves, and I have never ever had to help a chick, and have very little faith in my abilities in that department.

Read Farmer Voila's Hatching Guide Link: Must-Read Hatching Guide

That helped me a LOT when I had to help the little assisted hatch roo.

Also realize you aren't deciding when to "peel the egg". You can do just a little if/when it seems appropriate without "committing". Example would be you can candle and then open a tiny air hole when the others have pipped, and then play it by ear. It isn't "all or nothing". I would definitely be prepared to pip the egg though, if they can't create an opening because of an awkward position they will suffocate.

If the others are pipped and your twins are chirping creating a tiny hole to give them air isn't going to kill them! Have a tiny little drill bit (and tweezers etc...) ready.

If they have air and don't hatch after the others have then you can decide what to do, it isn't as bad as it sounds btw, just take tiny pieces of shell and STOP if you see blood. Also have a heat lamp ready so you can keep the egg warm while working on it (I didn't use a heat lamp, I just unzipped the egg in the coop with tweezers but it was an 85 degree afternoon here).

Last edited:
IC Wow! Twins! .. excuse my lack of knowledge in this department but are they rare? You mention that they might not make it .. is that common? Any ideas on how successful twin hatches are?

Sorry for all the questions .. have not read about or chatted to anyone who has had twins.

Figured seen as you now have twins, you will be doing a lot of research which I will also learn from
wink.png
lol

I know, crazy isn't it??? I keep wanting to check again, wondering if I was just hallucinating or something... but I'm pretty sure candling every 10 minutes is a bad idea.

I probably knew as much as you do about twins in one egg yesterday, so definitely don't take my word as expert knowledge, just relating what I have read so far (and you are correct, I have been doing a LOT of research).
wink.png

It would seem that incubating double yolk eggs isn't recommended, because yes, it is much harder for them to make it - and I assume that is why they are rare. The main reason is that twins won't have the same room to grow as a single chick would, and that can result in one of them crowding out the other and only one making it, or even both not making it due to not finding the right positions... and if they do make it to day 21, there's the issue of the actual hatching... usually, only one of them is positioned correctly, for hatching in the wide end of the egg, with the other one in the wrong end. Which is where the "have to help" bit comes in - since the one in the wrong end can easily drown before making the outer pip. At least, that's what I have learned so far, and seen some videos of those that do make it with help. Haven't seen any that hatched by themselves, but I don't know if that means it isn't possible or just hasn't been documented as much.

There is one more thing to consider in my case though - I have no idea if this actually is a double yolk egg or not! I didn't candle at the start, and now it's impossible to tell. I had assumed that it had to be in order to have twins, even though it's roughly the same size and shape as the others (usually all of mine have been bigger and more elongated). But I have just discovered that it is actually possible to have twins in a single yolk egg, and they would be identical twins, just like with people.

So of course now I have to wonder how likely it is that they can make it to full development, considering that an egg yolk has everything ONE chick needs to grow.. no idea. More research needed, I'll keep you posted!

TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clap.gif

I will be glued to this machine to see what happens here.
pop.gif
I really, really, really hope they hatch. If anyone can do it I know you and your broodies can!! Go twin broodys and twin chicks....I am so excited I should of put everything I just said in CAPS.
clap.gif
I feel like I am the chicken mama.
I followed along on a twin duck hatch and they made it just fine thank-you, and it was so fun to see them.

You will have to check in daily now, you know that right?
Maybe you shouldnt have told us? (Me)? haha
Very best of luck and we are all cheering you and the twins on.
wee.gif

Marie
edited to add
Hassle-free, whats that?

LOL!
lau.gif

Your post made me giggle for hours!
smile.png

And yeah, I think you're right "hassle-free" is just a myth that goes around making us think that hatches can be easier than they really are...

I'll do my best to check in daily. The twin duck hatch gives me some hope, too, although I'm trying not to get too excited (yeah right, that's going to be impossible), since it's only day 8 and a billion things can still go wrong. But OMG! I still can't believe it, I don't know how I'm going to manage to avoid candling all the time...

And of course I had to tell you!!! You were the first to know, because really, who else can I tell and get excitement and understanding rather than weird looks?
wink.png

Read Farmer Voila's Hatching Guide Link: Must-Read Hatching Guide

That helped me a LOT when I had to help the little assisted hatch roo.

Also realize you aren't deciding when to "peel the egg". You can do just a little if/when it seems appropriate without "committing". Example would be you can candle and then open a tiny air hole when the others have pipped, and then play it by ear. It isn't "all or nothing". I would definitely be prepared to pip the egg though, if they can't create an opening because of an awkward position they will suffocate.

If the others are pipped and your twins are chirping creating a tiny hole to give them air isn't going to kill them! Have a tiny little drill bit (and tweezers etc...) ready.

If they have air and don't hatch after the others have then you can decide what to do, it isn't as bad as it sounds btw, just take tiny pieces of shell and STOP if you see blood. Also have a heat lamp ready so you can keep the egg warm while working on it (I didn't use a heat lamp, I just unzipped the egg in the coop with tweezers but it was an 85 degree afternoon here).

THANK YOU!!!! Super helpful, and I definitely need the reminders that yes, I can just STOP at any point. I'm off to read the hatching guide! (And hoping they do make it to that point, and that I am ready to help if needed.)

Distracting myself from candling attempts by observing chilling chickens on the lawn, so I thought I would share since it has been a while.
love.gif

I have moved hens of various breeds, together with their eggs, on several occasions. I move the eggs at the same time, so that she's not left wondering where they are while I fetch them. Just put the eggs into a basket. I do it as quickly and quietly as possible, into a ready-prepared nest with food and water within sight and leave them strictly alone for the first 24 hours. None of mine have abandoned the eggs - in fact they seem fairly oblivious to the process.

Do you notice they seem to socialize a lot with others that look like them? Perhaps they need lessons on diversity.

No big news here, the chicks are growing into that somewhat "straggly" looking awkward stage. A couple of incidents with wildlife the other day. First the Buff Orpington caught a small snake, probably a garter snake based on what little I could see (it was HER prize and no one was getting it, she swallowed the whole thing). Poor little snake, I keep garters as pets and would have saved it if I could have.

Then the very very fat little roof rat that has been gorging on chicken feed was dispatched into the afterlife. I opened the coop door and there was the little rat (which I had seen before in the chicken yard), she jumped out into the dog yard and my Anatolian, a livestock guardian dog, quickly grabbed and terminated. He is also the only dog I will trust around the chickens, he is like the "chicken whisperer" and puts them at ease immediately.

Here is my boy Gabriel in front of the chicken coop, he is rarely allowed with the chickens because while he is gentle with them he will also eat ALL of their food (and no he isn't underfed, he is a spoiled house dog).

A minute of evening grazing here in Georgia:

0.jpg

Last edited:
Do you notice they seem to socialize a lot with others that look like them? Perhaps they need lessons on diversity.

No big news here, the chicks are growing into that somewhat "straggly" looking awkward stage. A couple of incidents with wildlife the other day. First the Buff Orpington caught a small snake, probably a garter snake based on what little I could see (it was HER prize and no one was getting it, she swallowed the whole thing). Poor little snake, I keep garters as pets and would have saved it if I could have.

Then the very very FAT little roof rat that has been gorging on chicken feed was dispatched into the afterlife. I opened the coop door and there was was the little rat (which I had seen before), she jumped out into the dog yard and my Anatolian, a livestock guardian dog, quickly grabbed and terminated. He is also the only dog I will trust around the chickens, he is like the "chicken whisperer" and puts them at ease immediately.

Lol! Actually, I rarely see them in pairs like that, which is why I took those pictures in the first place, too cute! Mostly it's bigger groups of mixed colors - but yes, hatch mates hang out together a lot, except for one Cochin who has decided she likes the veggie garden better, and so she stays there with the smaller chicks for the most part of the day, and especially loves to follow me around when I water it:

Your chicks have grown so much! And the mamas both seem calm now, or is there still pecking and fighting? I'll take some updated pics of mine over the weekend, has been a while since I've had a chance to.

And yikes, your Orp swallowed the entire snake? Poor snake indeed, what an end!

Your chicken whisperer dog sounds amazing, wish I could borrow him! And Gabriel is gorgeous. One of mine likes chicken feed too, and of course it had to be the one with allergy issues... which is why the backyard (where the feed is) is partially closed off - chickens can go in and out as they please, but dogs can't go in. Works out well with the chicks, too - mamas bring them to explore the front portion when they are ready, since they know that's where the dogs are.

Your chicks have grown so much! And the mamas both seem calm now, or is there still pecking and fighting? I'll take some updated pics of mine over the weekend, has been a while since I've had a chance to.

And yikes, your Orp swallowed the entire snake? Poor snake indeed, what an end!

Your chicken whisperer dog sounds amazing, wish I could borrow him! And Gabriel is gorgeous. One of mine likes chicken feed too, and of course it had to be the one with allergy issues... which is why the backyard (where the feed is) is partially closed off - chickens can go in and out as they please, but dogs can't go in. Works out well with the chicks, too - mamas bring them to explore the front portion when they are ready, since they know that's where the dogs are.

The two broodies get along now BUT the younger broody only likes "her own" two chicks. She frequently chases off the other 4, now that they are older and faster it isn't a problem. She screeches and they run. Meanwhile the older broody is happy to care for all of them.

You are lucky your chickens are safe with your dogs. I have six dogs and while Gabriel is awesome (and super smart regarding predators, including hawks) the other dogs are high prey drive rescue dogs, including a hard core hunting dog. I have to keep the fencing very secure as if the chicks/chickens got into the main yard it would be "game over" or if the dogs broke into the chicken yard, same thing. Lots of hardware cloth to and secure fencing, the chickens don't mind the dogs though as long as there is a fence between them.

Last edited:
The two broodies get along now BUT the younger broody only likes "her own" two chicks. She frequently chases off the other 4, now that they are older and faster it isn't a problem. She screeches and they run. Meanwhile the older broody is happy to care for all of them.

You are lucky your chickens are safe with your dogs. I have six dogs and while Gabriel is awesome (and super smart regarding predators, including hawks) the other dogs are high prey drive rescue dogs, including a hard core hunting dog. I have to keep the fencing very secure as if the chicks/chickens got into the main yard it would be "game over" or if the dogs broke into the chicken yard, same thing. Lots of hardware cloth to and secure fencing, the chickens don't mind the dogs though as long as there is a fence between them.

That's exactly how Pallina is - she chases away the other chicks, but yeah, it's no longer a problem now that they are bigger and outside, and a peck from her no longer starts a broody war between the two.

My dogs have pretty much zero prey drive... the first chicks we had bought used to sleep on the tail of one of them (it was November and it was pretty cool, and she's warm and fluffy) - no reaction at all from her. I will have to find that picture, it was too cute.

Once nice possibility happening here, while it appeared at hatch I had 4 cockerels and 2 hens...I am starting to think it is 3/3.

The second chick with young broody LOOKS like a cockerel color wise but has always been rather shy, noticeably shy and sticks close to young broody, now that their combs are coming out I notice the boys have orange while the girls have pale yellow, and the shy chick definitely seems to have a pale yellow comb.

Three little roo's in the flock is MUCH better than four! I don't want to rehome any if I can avoid it! And from my very very limited experience attitude can reveal gender, and that chick has always been careful and timid.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks for the responses on lice treatment. I put some neem oil on each of them to start and sprinkled some DE around the dirt floor of the coop. I realized I had stopped doing that regularly, so maybe that helped the outbreak come about. I can't actually see lice on Jan and Bettina, but there are a lot of nits. I If I still see the nits next week, I'll try the frontline. I agree with Sonya and don't like the idea of dusting everywhere with a chemical, and I may as well use what I have on hand.

I just did the first candle! My good flashlight wasn't working, so I used my camping headlamp. It took awhile to get adjusted, but I think I saw veins and development in all 9 of the light-colored eggs! Yowza! I couldn't see anything in Lucy's 2 dark eggs, of course. And, one of them was cold when I took it from Grace (really, Grace, what's up with that?!). There's plenty that can go wrong in the next 15 days, but I may be in for more chickens than I'm ready for! We'll see.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom