Have you ever been pecked in the eye?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
This just happened to me for the first time. I was holding a white plymouth rock pullet, listening to see if her chest rattled because I just had one chicken get sick and die out of the blue. (I haven't added any new birds or anything...) The pullet suddenly pecked me right in the eyeball! While I was squinting in pain, she went for the other eye.

I was wearing contacts, so she mainly hit that instead of my eyeball, but my eye feels bruised. There's no mark and I can see fine, so it's not an emergency. I hope it will be ok.

I really don't want to go to the doctor and tell them a chicken pecked me in the eye.

roll.png
lau.gif

My 7 week old chick has just started this! She's a barred Plymouth Rock and so far the only one who has attempted the eye peck, lol! She likes to get up on my shoulders and she went right for my eyeball last night. Gratefully it wasnt too hard and now I keep my eye closed closest to the shoulder that she's on!

Might be easier to just get safety glasses or not let her on your shoulder anymore lol

Lol! Yeah, this is just recent that she even likes to be on my shoulders. I have started to take her off since the peck but in the few seconds she's on one, my eye is closed, lol!

Yeah, mine started taking to shoulders around that age too actually. I think they're just getting older and bolder lol

I have not but my daughter has. She has very shiny brown eyes no contacts...and one got her one day. She was fine after she quit squinting.

I think it is the shiny aspect of the eye or they see their reflection maybe....not sure why they will do it every now and again.

You'll be fine, just keep it flushed out -- if the pain worsens, seek medical attention.

I've been banged in the eye countless times by my parrots...just be careful!

Back
Top Bottom