I went to check it there is a slight tear in the skin on its leg
What is the best thing to use to prevent infection
I cleaned it with peroxide and put on some neosporin
Is there any thing else to use
I have it in a small cage to keep it quiet and so I can keep an eye on it
Too close for comfort
We had not seen any hawks in our area at all until today
Melia

I had been flying mine a lot till I saw a hawk go after one last week. I locked mine back up. After checking its apparent I have lost several. I can't believe I didn't miss them sooner. The hawks will be here till late winter now. I really hate not being able to fly them.

I love hawks...yeah....until they come get my birds
barnie.gif
It would be in their best interest to stay off my property
tongue.gif

For the hurt bird, neo and a little bit of honey on the leg will help keep infection out and make it heal more quickly.

Whenever something like this happens, you can flush the wound with water and Saline solution. I try to stay away from the hydrogen peroxide because it eats the tissue, and makes it take longer to heal. Not really a big issue unless it's the type of wound that would require stitches (whether those be real stitches/staples, or butterfly stitches, which are just a bandaid made to pull the skin tightly together). Why? Because without the peroxide, usually the skin around the wound has rough edges, unless it's a clean cut. Putting peroxide on it will eat away the abraised parts, leaving a more clean edge.

Just a medical tip for the day. Goes for us and animals. Of course you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Most of us only have peroxide and alcohol, so if it's what you've got, use it
smile.png
Either way, you sterilized the injury, which is really important to keep infection and disease out. So, so far you've done great, but like I said, the honey will definitely help
smile.png
And if you ever run out of neosporin, honey alone will do the trick as well. It's naturally antibacterial among other anti- stuff that helps keep a bird (or person!) healthy.

I had my first hawk attack ever today. Luckily he landed on the ground after he caught it and I was able to scare him off of the pigeon. When my kit came in after flying, I couldn't even tell which one he had grabbed. I'd say that I was pretty lucky there.
duc.gif

Our birds are still in training
I hate to not fly them but I don't want a repeat of what happened on the weekend
We try to keep an eye out and someone is at the loft when they come in

But then again my husband was only about ten feet from the loft when
this hawk attacked.
I think he saved our bird by yelling and rushing at the hawk

Melia

Here is advice I have received. During hawk season (changes in differant areas usually hot weather) only fly in the evening. The hope is the hawks have already eaten. Never fly after a long rainy day, hawks are hungry and are ready to kill. I have also been told (but not tested) that a light breed roo will alert to the presence of a hawk and after awhile pigeons learn this sound and land.

Quote:
Chicken Rooster, a pigeon rooster is called a cock.

Any animal that sounds an alarm will do. Growing up, I remember the turkeys would alert also and that would send the pigeons barreling to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom