Pics
Nov 4, 2021
Hi! This is my first post (been lurking since April when I started my flock! Hi all!) I know there are thousands of hawk posts (I’ve read most of them!) I have some specific-to-me questions for the community and am hoping it can provide me and anyone else lurking some insight to reduce risks. Thank you in advance!

Brief background- we have a small urban flock of 6 in the Bay Area of CA. Got ladies in April/June as 6-7 week pullets. They have been allowed to free range in our backyard nearly since then. Coop and run access all day. It’s wooded but suburban so we’re not talking acres here. Just a nice patch of hill with two large trees. Food and water inside run. No predator issues until this week.

This past week (first week of November) I heard a commotion and looked to see a hawk swooping out of our yard. I ran out but was not able to ID hawk type. Thinking red tail as most common in this area. Cooper is possible too. Wing undersides were light brown/sandy in color. I thought the bird was huge but… city person here so take that for what it’s worth. All the girls were present but our head lady in charge had some missing feathers and on inspection a decent gash. (We’re doing wound care and thanks to posts here, she is healing well it seems. Eating/drinking excellent. She actually seems unbothered, whereas the others are still a bit frazzled.)

Specific questions in my mind:
1. Our yard has two large trees that the girls spend most time under one of them. The attack happened under/very near said tree. It has finally gone complete bare of leaves this week. Assuming this is not coincidence? Is this a fair assumption. And if so, is ranging them once the tree is filled out again “safer” ( in quotes as I know safe is a relative term and predators will predator). I feel like a full tree is not enough to stop a hawk! But looking at my yard I’m realizing how much more sky is exposed now and the timing seems, important.

2. We have a border collie who is trustworthy unsupervised with hens but he’s not a guard dog (ha!). He often sleeps on our deck while the hens graze the hill. Would just his presence be enough? Surely it depends on the hawk but would gladly leave him out when ranging the girls if it would make a difference?

3. In my hawk obsession this week I’ve done lots of reading on crow-hawk relations. Some articles saying hawks won’t bother staying anywhere crows nest. Our neighborhood is home to MANY crows. Murders upon murders of them. Is it too much wishful thinking to think perhaps this was a one off? That this hawk was making his way through and saw an “easy” meal and won’t necessarily be back?

Thank you for reading all this! Appreciate this community. Like I mentioned this is my first post but I’ve learned so much from lurking the past 6 months so thank you!

EDIT: For clarity as it seems to come up in a lot of replies! We DO have a secured run and coop. Hardwire apron and hardwire siding with pvc wire and a full roof of aluminum. Ladies are access to run and coop at all times when they are ranging! Not relying on the now bare trees for security, just sparked my interest as it’s never been empty of leaves since we’ve had them out and this happened right away!

Last edited:
I saw a coopers hawk sitting right on my gate door even as I was in the coop walking around. I have lost 2 chickens to hawks in about 27 years. One was a small hen. One was a 6 month old blue maran rooster. Mostly I like to have a rooster about because I have seen them warn the hens to head for cover.

I don't worry too much about my adult hens since they are all standard size, the smallest is a production red and this is one of the reasons I don't have bantams. I also keep pullets in a smaller run area that is covered in mesh until they are close to the size of the adults for the same reason.

In my area, red-shouldered hawks are the most common, which are smaller than red-tailed hawks, but we get red-tailed and other larger hawks as well. I see hawks checking out my hens pretty frequently but I have never seen evidence of one actually swooping down on them. I did once have a barred owl try and attack them, but my chickens were fine aside from a few lost feathers.

As far as crows go, they are definitely helpful but can't protect against every hawk all the time. I also have a lot of crows in the area, and I have watched the chickens run and hide when they hear the crows mobbing another bird. I like to think they have learned the crows' warning calls, since they seem to react differently to the sounds crows make when they are mobbing a hawk vs. regular crow sounds.

1. Our yard has two large trees that the girls spend most time under one of them. The attack happened under/very near said tree. It has finally gone complete bare of leaves this week. Assuming this is not coincidence?
I would assume that the newly bare tree was what enabled the hawk to get to the birds since there usual shelter is down. Smart birds will see a hawk before it sees them. Without there usually shelter, its possible that even while hiding the birds were visible to the hawk.
2. We have a border collie who is trustworthy unsupervised with hens but he’s not a guard dog (ha!). He often sleeps on our deck while the hens graze the hill. Would just his presence be enough?
I wouldn't count on it. Maybe ground predators, but I'm honestly not sure how interested a Border Collie would be in a hawk, nor do I think that a hawk is going to be afraid of a Border Collie.
3. In my hawk obsession this week I’ve done lots of reading on crow-hawk relations. Some articles saying hawks won’t bother staying anywhere crows nest. Our neighborhood is home to MANY crows. Murders upon murders of them. Is it too much wishful thinking to think perhaps this was a one off?
I wouldn't count on this either. There is a chance, but I wouldn't risk it. What you can do to make sure the hawk isn't able to hang for to long near your birds, is start feeding the crows. Of course, this may be a conflict to biosecurity, as any wild bird can carry diseases that could spread to your flock, but it is something to think about. Even putting the feeder far away from the coop, but still on the property could be helpful?

I'm assuming that you have a covered run for your ladies when they aren't free ranging, is this correct? If so, keep them locked up for a few days. With the frightening experience it will likely make them more wary of arial predators. Putting any kind of shelter out in the run, and doing supervised free ranging will help your situation. Having a heavy breeds, nothing to small such as bantams is always helpful. Shelters can consist of something simple like lawn chairs, and tables, to easy ups or more permanent shelters.
If your hawk is persistent, another option is always a tractor. A light easy to move but large enclosure that you can move across your field to give your hens access to fresh grass. Its covered and protected, not as free and free ranging, but its a fresh grass that counts right.
I hope this is helpful to you, keep us updated on how things go.
And I can't forget! Welcome to BYC! :welcome

1. All 3 of my hawk attacks have been from trees with leaves. They like to hide and sneak. I think you are thinking the lack of leaves could have enabled a hawk flying over to see them easier. Could be. I would say, plant some bushes if you can. This would provide better cover for them.

2. The dog would probably not be a deterrent unless he were actively working like a rooster or working dog would. Hawks can be quite bold. All 3 of my hawk attacks happened when I was sitting or standing within 20-30 feet. (We are usually out together.)

3. I've witnessed our crows reacting to a hawk and thus warning the chickens and other birds. Blew their cover. So they may help sometimes, but our crows and hawks coexist too.

Besides adding bushes, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I've used a large tractor with a chicken wire top that I could move around, but the chickens would rather be free to range. I'll watch this thread to see if others have any more helpful advice.

I would assume that the newly bare tree was what enabled the hawk to get to the birds since there usual shelter is down. Smart birds will see a hawk before it sees them. Without there usually shelter, its possible that even while hiding the birds were visible to the hawk.

I wouldn't count on it. Maybe ground predators, but I'm honestly not sure how interested a Border Collie would be in a hawk, nor do I think that a hawk is going to be afraid of a Border Collie.

I wouldn't count on this either. There is a chance, but I wouldn't risk it. What you can do to make sure the hawk isn't able to hang for to long near your birds, is start feeding the crows. Of course, this may be a conflict to biosecurity, as any wild bird can carry diseases that could spread to your flock, but it is something to think about. Even putting the feeder far away from the coop, but still on the property could be helpful?

I'm assuming that you have a covered run for your ladies when they aren't free ranging, is this correct? If so, keep them locked up for a few days. With the frightening experience it will likely make them more wary of arial predators. Putting any kind of shelter out in the run, and doing supervised free ranging will help your situation. Having a heavy breeds, nothing to small such as bantams is always helpful. Shelters can consist of something simple like lawn chairs, and tables, to easy ups or more permanent shelters.
If your hawk is persistent, another option is always a tractor. A light easy to move but large enclosure that you can move across your field to give your hens access to fresh grass. Its covered and protected, not as free and free ranging, but its a fresh grass that counts right.
I hope this is helpful to you, keep us updated on how things go.
And I can't forget! Welcome to BYC! :welcome
Thank you so much. Yes, in trying to be brief I didn’t detail- they have a fully covered and aproned run and a coop. Usually the run door is open all day and they go in and out as they roam the yard. Currently they are on run restrictions.
In your reply you touched on someone else I didn’t include- hoping this scare will inspire the hens to be more…. Wise :) This was their first scare and they are still young but they didn’t quite react until it was all over! Poor things.
They will be run restricted for a while. (Part of that is my own anxiety) Run is big enough for this but it is a shift for them. Looking into lots of extra things you mentioned as well. Shelters/Tractors etc. the yard is such a slope though I’ve got to plan out what will be feasible. Thanks again for your insight!

(and LOL about the border collie comment. I couldn’t agree more but I keep reading “get a dog” ha)

1. All 3 of my hawk attacks have been from trees with leaves. They like to hide and sneak. I think you are thinking the lack of leaves could have enabled a hawk flying over to see them easier. Could be. I would say, plant some bushes if you can. This would provide better cover for them.

2. The dog would probably not be a deterrent unless he were actively working like a rooster or working dog would. Hawks can be quite bold. All 3 of my hawk attacks happened when I was sitting or standing within 20-30 feet. (We are usually out together.)

3. I've witnessed our crows reacting to a hawk and thus warning the chickens and other birds. Blew their cover. So they may help sometimes, but our crows and hawks coexist too.

Besides adding bushes, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I've used a large tractor with a chicken wire top that I could move around, but the chickens would rather be free to range. I'll watch this thread to see if others have any more helpful advice.
This was helpful! And I’m sorry to hear about your hawk experiences. There’s some much information about this fairly unpredictable thing that I feel the more experiences I hear the better. Sparks ideas and gives me new eyes to see with. Appreciate it.

Thank you so much. Yes, in trying to be brief I didn’t detail- they have a fully covered and aproned run and a coop. Usually the run door is open all day and they go in and out as they roam the yard. Currently they are on run restrictions.
In your reply you touched on someone else I didn’t include- hoping this scare will inspire the hens to be more…. Wise :) This was their first scare and they are still young but they didn’t quite react until it was all over! Poor things.
They will be run restricted for a while. (Part of that is my own anxiety) Run is big enough for this but it is a shift for them. Looking into lots of extra things you mentioned as well. Shelters/Tractors etc. the yard is such a slope though I’ve got to plan out what will be feasible. Thanks again for your insight!

(and LOL about the border collie comment. I couldn’t agree more but I keep reading “get a dog” ha)
I bet it will. Our rooster Sam has been through more, "learned the hard way" predator accidents than I can count. Before this site, we lost a lot of birds due to not doing enough research. :hmm I am of course I am always guilty of that, but on the plus side, it has shaped multiple survivors. Sam our rooster has been our only survivor before. Today, any sign of an arial predator, he takes the whole flock into the bushes before I even know the bird is there. He's great at alerting danger, and is about 8 years old, probably our oldest living chicken.
Your hens will witness more predation, wether it threatens them, or its just a predator lurking at night, all of it will make them wiser, and help them adapt to survival in your environment. And even though we help predator proof as much, it all comes down to survival in the end. They'll get the whole thing down eventually. :)
Dogs are great for ground predators for sure! Our Labs are great with our birds, and great at alerting potential threats. Our roosters have learned how to react to their alerts as well. :lol: Your pup will prove very beneficial when dealing with ground predators for sure!
Good luck! Keep us updated! I hope you find a good way to protect your hens from those pesky predators.

Back
Top Bottom