Hawks and Full grown Chickens?

Quote:
And he will keep coming back to dine as long as there are chickens to catch. Break the cycle by keeping the chickens penned 24/7 for at least a full week or until the hawk no longer makes an appearance; longer is better.

Yeah, I have lost at least three to hawks. The first one was an adult Barred Rock hen. She was free ranging in the back pasture and when I went to feed them, there were feathers everywhere. And a dead hen out in the open. Then I lost a mid sized bird and a young polish the same day. It really stinks. The latest predator was a black vulture. Yes , they do kill live animals and eat them. Lost 2 Speckled Sussex pullets the same day. I am packing my .38 when I go outside now. I might not hit the thing, but it sure makes a big racket when I shoot!

I STRONGLY suggest NOT talking about shooting at a bird of prey on a forum that can be read by anyone, member or not. Federal law doesn't even allow harassing a BOP, much less killing it. USF&W does read forums like this.

There was someone last year who's neighbor shot a hawk- $5000.00 fine was just the beginning of the penalties.

We have lots o cover, but I still worry about big birds. The hawks will sit on a telephone post next to the run and just watch teh chickens (in the run). We also have owls that hang out nearby at dusk.
No casualties yet, we make sure all chickens are in at dusk, and don't let them out unattended.

jhaley,
All I try to do is increase odds hawk will fail in attempt or least that hawk percieves risk. Often it will then go elsewhere. Make certain you know hawk species, not all are threats. So long as my birds under a covered roost by dark, owls not a threat. My birds unattended by me but dog makes present known. Both hawks and owls do not like hunting near a ground predator that is inclined to go after hawk or owl. Dog fits that bill well.

we live on 17 acres about 4 of which is cleared and maybe 2 in pasture. We have red shoulder hawks, red tail (i've seen less frequently) and bald eagles, sharpshinned & coopers hawks. Because of this I got Anconas - reputed to be better than your average chicken in an area with hawks. We have a red shouldered hawk that sits on our pasture fence every morning perusing for mice and snakes. Our chickens free range all day and altho we have expanded our flock to include quite a variety of chickens - and guineas and turkeys - we have never lost a full grown chicken to a hawk. We are out in the country so wildlife is more skittish here and has more of its "natural" prey. We have lost a couple d'uccles to a coopers hawk (actually witnessed the attack - also saw coopers take down jays which are about the same size as a d'uccle). I love my Anconas
smile.png
They are the first to come for a treat when I call and they lay an egg nearly every day STILL (and they are 3-4 yrs old).

Quote:
That is what I thought, too! Every now and then we get one hanging around on the cell tower a few houses away. I figured the big girls were safe.

I am sorry for your loss, too. We just lost two 3 month olds to what we think is a raccoon. It makes me sick.

Back
Top Bottom