hay?

Ginevive

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
I have alfalfa hay here for the horses. Would the roos eat it is I tossed some in with them? I read that they eat plants and greenery and am wondering if they would like this.. there is so much to learn!
Another thing: I know that they like to scratch around for their feed. I have a bird feeder type of thing I was going to use (holds it in a metal grid-type tube thingie and it falls into the little tray at the bottom as it is eaten.) Is it better to just toss the feed on the coucrete for them to scratch, or fed in feeder?

I've used hay too, mostly the stems after the goats finished off the leafy parts. Same thing as with the straw, the chickens like to scratch in the hay.
I found it packed down more if and when it got wet. Then it was hard to remove to clean and put down fresh bedding.
I think you want to have something on the concrete. It's not good for their legs and feet to always be on the hard surface. Can you locate their feeder on an area where you have bedding? They will scratch some out and pick it up too. There will be some waste.

I have them bedded with wheat straw; about 3 inches or so of it. I would never leave them on bare concrete
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom