Heartgard for Dogs

Ivermectin for livestock is OK for dogs, I use goat meds typically, ssince the dosage is closer, though the bulk of what I use is fenbendazole for dewormer and giardia. The goat version is much cheaper for me as a breeder with multiple dogs. I suggest finding goat Ivermectin and looking up dosage for your dog's weight.

Remember giving heartworm preventatives to dogs that already have heartworms can be deadly - that's why vets want to test your dog before prescribing a heartworm preventative. Also Ivermectin can be deadly to certain breeds, mainly collies and other herding breeds.

Only if they carry the mutation MDR1. If you had a genetic panel done you'll know for sure, otherwise the old adage "white feet, don't treat" applies.

Ivermectin for livestock is OK for dogs, I use goat meds typically, ssince the dosage is closer, though the bulk of what I use is fenbendazole for dewormer and giardia. The goat version is much cheaper for me as a breeder with multiple dogs. I suggest finding goat Ivermectin and looking up dosage for your dog's weight.
Thanks, I’ll check which my friend has. The store I was looking at just had sheep, pig/cattle, and horse - of which sheep was the best option. But I’ll look into the goat version!

Has anyone noticed that Heartgard for dogs - ivermectin - is six times more expensive than the horse ivermectin (regardless of brand)?

Looks like my dogs will be eating the
I have been giving all the dogs in family, including my grown kids' dogs, (sans one, who is a border collie, and can't have Ivermectin) liquid, injectable ivermectin for cows and swine (orally), for at least a dozen years. With all the dogs in my family, we've easily saved a thousand dollars in that timespan.
Which reminds me - I should order another bottle

Edit to add: if your dog gets Ivermectin every month, year round - there's no need for annual blood tests.

Back
Top Bottom