Heat For Winter?

To clarify, that coop is not their life. They have a 24x36ft extended run that they get let out into every day after work and pretty much all day on Saturdays and Sundays.

We're not really in a position to buy more stuff so we're working with what we have.

I get the whole covering up the run of the coop idea, and thats certainly an option. But I'm a carpenter/lumber mill worker/woodworking hobbyist by trade and I wouldn't want it looking crappy, for lack of better terms. I'd have to give that idea some thought on how to go about it.
Since you do carpentry by trade, see if you can save up from your jobs that could be used to alter the coop. Doesn't have to cost you money if you can use unwanted/excess material.

You'll probably find they do need to be out more than just "after work" unless your hours aren't typical. While they're younger and smaller they'll tolerate tighter confinement, but as they mature and grow and hormones start going, they may not remain so tolerant of one another.

Now that I removed the small coop I’ve remodeled a bit and turned the whole 10x10 kennel into an open air coop.

Welcome to BYC.

That's a wonderful build! You'll need to make a coop page for it. :)

Also, there ARE gable vents in the main part of the coupe currently.

No, I'm sorry, but there are no meaningful vents in that coop.

You need 1 square foot per bird minimum -- and here in central NC I find that I need double or triple that, or DEEP shade, to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day -- and that coop has only a few square inches. :(

I appreciate all of the replies I really do, but we are working with what we have for now. We're not in a position to buy or build another coop right now. So as much as this is going "ruffle some feathers" here we're going to push on with what we have.

Today I took the ventilation recommendation into consideration, and I'm not done. I put some spacers on the ridge vent, which wasn't much of a ridge vent at all. I also took some pics of where I plan to put in 4 more soffit vents under the eve's, that you can see from the inside. Two on each side. You can see from the pics how the ridge vent sat from the factory and what it looks like after I added some spacers. You can also see the gable vents that have been in place since day one of the chickens being in the coop, although not pictured very well in previous posts.

I also installed a new more robust roosting bar in the coop thats a few inches higher. You can see the old one on the roof when I was installing.
20220917_185854.jpg
20220917_185908.jpg
20220917_185917.jpg
20220917_190047.jpg
20220917_190106.jpg
20220917_191412.jpg
20220917_192032.jpg

We are also debating letting them out in the extended run everyday while we're away at work.

Suggestions based on what we have are welcome.

I appreciate all of the responses I really do.

To clarify, that coop is not their life. They have a 24x36ft extended run that they get let out into every day after work and pretty much all day on Saturdays and Sundays.

We're not really in a position to buy more stuff so we're working with what we have.

I get the whole covering up the run of the coop idea, and thats certainly an option. But I'm a carpenter/lumber mill worker/woodworking hobbyist by trade and I wouldn't want it looking crappy, for lack of better terms. I'd have to give that idea some thought on how to go about it.

Also, there ARE gable vents in the main part of the coupe currently.

I live in Southern VA and here is a pic of the whole set up with extended run.

Temps RARELY get to 0. Most winters are high of 30's and lows in the teens.

View attachment 3261447

I appreciate all of the replies I really do, but we are working with what we have for now. We're not in a position to buy or build another coop right now. So as much as this is going "ruffle some feathers" here we're going to push on with what we have.

Today I took the ventilation recommendation into consideration, and I'm not done. I put some spacers on the ridge vent, which wasn't much of a ridge vent at all. I also took some pics of where I plan to put in 4 more soffit vents under the eve's, that you can see from the inside. Two on each side. You can see from the pics how the ridge vent sat from the factory and what it looks like after I added some spacers. You can also see the gable vents that have been in place since day one of the chickens being in the coop, although not pictured very well in previous posts.

I also installed a new more robust roosting bar in the coop thats a few inches higher. You can see the old one on the roof when I was installing.View attachment 3263558View attachment 3263559View attachment 3263561View attachment 3263570View attachment 3263575View attachment 3263579View attachment 3263588

We are also debating letting them out in the extended run everyday while we're away at work.

Suggestions based on what we have are welcome.
I completely understand. Our girls are at 20 weeks and still in this coop until their big girl coop/run is finished. We were in the same position as you. To compensate, they get our backyard until we’re finished from 6 am until about 12 when our dogs go outside for an hour or so. Then the girls go back out until 5 pm and the dogs come out again. Then finally out until bedtime. It’s tedious watching them and switching out with our dogs, but it works for us for now. Our fence in back is really low, so ours have no problem hopping it. Fortunately our neighbor is interested in our chickens more than upset about them hoping the fence. But i guess what I’m saying is just be aware they will jump higher than you think. Provide a lot of areas for cover incase of areal predators if you decide to let them out all day. I think you have really great intentions for them 🙂 I’ve seen where people buy two of those coops and put them end to end and they prove a bit more room, if you have the money to spare, it’s an idea. I’ve seen dog runs at Home Depot that could provide enough safe free range space that are a decent price, also. There are so many things to learn and so many different ways to do things with this hobby. You will find something that works for you and your flock. Some people won’t agree, some will. Good luck with your ladies!

I'm late to the conversation, but I'll add my 2-cents:

If you could fence off just that corner closest to the front of the photo, enclosing the coop area - to the perimeter fence at front center, and to the porch at right, you'd have a more secure outdoor pen that will be big enough for all six. You'll need to cover the top too - to keep hawks and owls from using your yard as a restaurant. Just use the same T-posts and wire fencing you used for the perimeter to cover the pen. Run some 2x4's or pipe around the base to secure the lower edge of the fencing. (It would be better to bury some hardware cloth in the dirt, or run an apron out about 12" to prevent predators from digging under, but I do understand time and money constraints.)

Then you could leave them out all day in the larger enclosed pen, but not in the open yard where they'll be easily picked off by neighborhood dogs (digging under the fence), hawks, owls, raccoons, etc..... It'll be temporary, due to the low height you'd have to bend over to walk around inside; but it will suffice until you can build a bigger coop and taller enclosed run to your liking.

I agree that coop is not big enough for six full-size chickens to LIVE in for days on end (coldest part of winter). You should please find a way to give them a bigger indoor space. It doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal - and I know you'll want it to look nice and be well-made - but you can plan for that and collect your appropriate materials in due time. Meanwhile, I think you could enclose your existing structure with heavy plastic or tarps, all around it. During freezing weather and storms, they'll NEED the space outside of that little box.

Back to your original question: about heating.
Most experienced members here will recommend zero supplemental heat. I'm not in that group. I canNOT sleep in my warm bed knowing it's 10-deg-F in that coop. Ain't happening. So I do provide a heat lamp, VERY well secured, and made with a ceramic bulb socket. Red bulb to help limit actual light and not disturb their sleep cycle. I only plug it in if temps are going to dip below 15-deg-F at night.

I will also admit that my coop is too small for recommended requirements - about 2 sq ft per bird. (It's a converted camper, 8' x 16' for about 50 winter birds). But they do manage fine when closed up for a bitter cold spell. They have lots of roosts, cabinets to snuggle inside of, shelves, and nesting buckets on another rack they spend time on. They don't all stay on the floor... they spread out all over the vertical space, too. I sneak up on them often and listen... and all I hear are contented scratching, clucking and cooing, and the occasional crowing.

I do provide forced air ventilation (small fan) 24/7/365 that keeps air moving and moisture minimal. I put two feed troughs inside, and a waterer on top of a heated base. I have to clean out the coop more often in winter months due to the buildup of manure and spilled water. My price to pay for a good night's sleep.

Just pointing these things out to show the rules of 4-sq-ft per bird inside, and 10-sq-ft per bird outside, are not carved into stone. It depends on your setup, the dynamics in your own flock, and how much effort you wish to expend in keeping them healthy and happy.

I always used heat when I had chickens. As cold as it got, it never got real warm, but helped keep a lot of winter problems away for them.

The improved ridge vent will help a little.

Yes, give them some elbow room. They need it.

Can you get hold of a cheap picnic pavilion?

This is my Camp Cockerel coop -- which is all the coop required in a southeastern summer and which would make an excellent sheltered run in a temperate zone winter in an area where snow is measured in inches rather than feet (using hardware cloth for beloved pet birds or valuable breeder rather than the chicken wire I used for cull cockerels).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/camp-cockerel.77789/

0618220638-jpg.3163928

Chickens poop a lot overnight, and it's unhealthy for them to breathe all that ammonia. Adding only height to that coop with 4 pieces of ply wood would be a huge improvement so that you can add air holes 2-feet above their heads, which would let air out without any cold air "hitting" them.

Back
Top Bottom