Heat lamp went out. 7 chicks banny chicks died.

Angie8eggs

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
1f62d.png
I was so excited to get these chicks, I picked them out at Tractor Supply, and was being picky as to the ones I wanted. Had them for 2 days, woke up Monday morning at 6 am to check on them and 7 of the 9 died from being cold. That lamp/bulb was on two weeks old. I was so so mad!!! Heartbroken. I guess if anyone could learn from my misfortune, is with these teeny tiny chicks, place them in a small safe box overnight for added warmth. I don't know if it would have made a difference, or not. Sad thing is, I debated on doing that, but knew the heat lamp is warm. So ******.
1f616.png

You're exactly right! I always had a few, but I also got them at the same time with larger chicks. It's unfortunate that this had happened, but I learned to get bigger chicks at the same time when I get them when I get them again. :/

so sorry, it happened to me before. I now keep two on. 1 heat lamp and 1 just 100 watt bulb as backup. plus I make sure I use the red heat lamp. the white ones from walmart are junk.

Gemtrucker, good advice on two! I had the red one, also. My stupid luck. Always seem to get junk myself. Sorry you went through that too. :(

Thanks Danny! I filled a sock with rice and keep that in there too! But I will FOR SURE, get those hand warmers. I can order a bunch through work, real cheap. Never would have thought about them-thank you!!
1f44d.png
1f604.png

We hatched quail one time and my mom got a new heat lamp and overnight they all died from getting to hot. They were practically cooked. Sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.

Back
Top Bottom