Heated Waterer Review / comments

I tried that waterer, too and found it so difficult to use in the warm weather that I did'nt wait till winter to find a replacement.

Got the Farm Innovator's heated dog bowl. The one with the stainless liner (which, by the way is NOT removeable). So far it's working great.

I love your coop Baymen Moe, just had to comment on it. Keeping my fingers crossed on these waterers. I am feeling a little more confident in my second one. Will give it a look when it hit's -8 tonight just to make sure the heater part of it is as good as I think it is. Going to start on a DIY model kind of like junkmanme is doing for backup. If it survives a season, I'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's surprising how few options we have for these things all things considered. 8000 types of toilet paper, but really only 2 choices commercially for heated waterers specific to chickens (that I know of).

Mark

Hi, I have one of those waterers and initially had the same kind of pouring out, leakage problem. To fix it, I removed the white plastic from the base and reattached it - firmly. It's weird because it's possible to look like it's together when it's not. Then I leveled the site where it sits because the water comes up to the rim and if it not exactly level it will all leak out. Now it works fine and stays defrosted. I agree that the handle's flimsy but I try not to carry it by the handle.

I'm on the Western Slope from the OP and we've had historic snowfall. My girls are Not Happy.

Mary

I use one of those heating elements that you put into the water dish, I use one of those thick rubber dishes that holds several gallons (Tractor supply). I put the waterer right outside the basement door and it worked all of last winter and is still going strong. I also use a heated dog dish for their morning oatmeal (on selected cold days), they love this and eat every last morsel.

Quote:
You know, perhaps I should permanently attach the white plastic part to the base, using aquarium-grade sealant that doesn't leech chemicals, and NEVER plan to open it or carry it by the handle. That could prolong the life of this thing.

Last edited:
I also bought the heated waterer that you talked about and hate it! The final straw came yesterday when I attempted to carry it from the house to the coop in single digit freezing weather. The two parts separated in two repeated filling trips, covering me in water. I ended up kicking the top across the yard as hard as I could and screaming at it! My DH came running outside fearing a disaster had befallen me, then began to laugh! I kicked it again, got in my truck and headed for the nearest feed store where I bought a heated water bowl. While there I spotted the same waterer that I had taken my rage out on and told the owners (while still in my soaked clothes), that they should NOT sell those to anyone! That they were trash!.

After reading all of the problems with that 3.5 gallon heated waterer, I returned mine (unused) for a full refund.

Purchased @3.00 oil drain pan from auto parts store (14.5 - 15.5" wide);

(drilled 1/2" hole 2" from top) of 5 gallon (free) plastic container;

set porcelain light bulb socket $9.99 into 12" cinder block after attaching to outdoor electrical junction box then fitted with 60 watt bulb;

filled 5 gallon container with water, replaced its' top; turned upside down & placed into drain pan(only fills to where hole is in container);

set water filled container and oil drain pan on to cinder block over light bulb assembly.

Plugged it in and it is warm enough to keep water from freezing... Light source of heat is very inexpensive.

Found this idea in BYC learning center https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-waterer.html. It works terrific and does not spill if you turn the side with the whole in it away from you (finger on hole) when putting filled container into the oil pan. For 15 minutes and under $15.00 I have what I needed to keep lots of water from freezing - Thanks Again BYC....
smile.png
smile.png

Have upgraded from oil drain pan to livestock feed pail 4" deep x 16" wide $9.00... Much easier to place 5 gallon container in wider pail and easier for birds to get beaks into the water for a good drink, water is better insulated than with the smaller oii drain; birds were having difficulty when water was low. Now not a problem. The livestock outdoor pail is rubber, will not freeze nor crack. Much simpler to clean and maintain also. I can bring 1 gallon out and just fill the basin allowing the 5 gallons to be reserve.. Really like this method.

Last edited:
I just bought three of them. Two have the plugs in the bottom which make filling them easy but I hope the plug holds up.
fl.gif
The third with no plug is a pain to re-attach the top to because the plastic is flimsy - or maybe it is just me and a lack of hand/eye coordination on my part! The water basin does fill up to incredibly full on all three so if it is jiggled in the least bit, water is everywhere. However, after what I paid for them and all the negativity I just spouted, I hope they at least take me through the winter so I can explore other solutions next year!

Back
Top Bottom