Heating pad that looks like a TV

What are your thoughts on the heating pads that hang on the wall of your chicken coop for cold winter nights? Safe??? Thank you for any feed back
Not necessary in most climates.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1694094003685.png

If the heater is infrared heat, (which I believe most of those are, which is also why it is safe when it is properly operating) it will only heat the birds if they are next to it, but won't bring up the ambient temperature. If you do end up getting one of those heaters you would probably want them to be on the birds when they sleep, since that it when temps are the lowest.

What is your lowest temperature in the winter?

If the heater is infrared heat, (which I believe most of those are, which is also why it is safe when it is properly operating) it will only heat the birds if they are next to it, but won't bring up the ambient temperature. If you do end up getting one of those heaters you would probably want them to be on the birds when they sleep, since that it when temps are the lowest.

What is your lowest temperature in the winter?
Mine is generally around 22 F according to U.S. Climate Data. I haven’t lived here long enough to really know.

They seemed a little cold last year and that was all four of them in a closed coop, so that’s why I was wondering.

I added mine :)
I am guessing in the DC area you wouldn't need to worry about cold harming them. The snap would need to get past -10 for any damage to occur. Maybe you could do wind baffling, since that can affect them negatively. Here is a good article for that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

You basically want air moving around them, but not directly hitting them, especially where they sleep.

What breeds to you have btw? It looks like barred rock and autrolorp from the photo. Those guys shouldn't need any heat, only wind cover.

Back
Top Bottom