Heating pad that looks like a TV

I am guessing in the DC area you wouldn't need to worry about cold harming them. The snap would need to get past -10 for any damage to occur. Maybe you could do wind baffling, since that can affect them negatively. Here is a good article for that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

You basically want air moving around them, but not directly hitting them, especially where they sleep.

What breeds to you have btw? It looks like barred rock and autrolorp from the photo. Those guys shouldn't need any heat, only wind cover.
Thank you for the link!

I have a Barred Rock and a Cream Legbar in one coop and a Welsummer and Delaware in the other.

There’s no floor except where the nesting box is.
@Evadig Probably would be good for you to start your own thread and show all of the housing you have for your birds. I seriously doubt you need a heater.

Thanks I updated it:)
Can you show your coop, inside and out, and run?
....and tell us more about your flock, numbers, ages, etc.
Will this be your first winter with chicken?

Pretty rare to really need heat unless the temps hover below zero day and night for more than a few days. Ventilation is way more important than heat(except to keep drinking water thawed).

@Evadig Probably would be good for you to start your own thread and show all of the housing you have for your birds. I seriously doubt you need a heater.

Can you show your coop, inside and out, and run?
....and tell us more about your flock, numbers, ages, etc.
Will this be your first winter with chicken?

Pretty rare to really need heat unless the temps hover below zero day and night for more than a few days. Ventilation is way more important than heat(except to keep drinking water thawed).
Thank you for your advice. I am pretty new at posting stuff.🙈I have 9 adult hens (6 years old and 3 years)which no I have never used a heat source for them before and this is my 6th winter . My reason for asking about heat this year is because I have 4 10 week old barred cochin bantams and I am not sure how they will handle the winter. They live in a large converted shed with lots of space and their run is an attached enclosed dog enclosure . We do use a heat plate so the water never freezes in the winter.

I put this panel heater in 12 years ago. In January our overnight lows can hover at -5F to -10F and I wasn't sure the birds could handle it in my uninsulated coop... (grey panel on the wall)

20170814_085934.jpg

I turned it on at bedtime a couple of nights when it was already zero and in the morning all the birds had either scooted down the roost bar or were on the floor. It was frigid for me but they obviously didn't need it. So it rarely gets used, some heavy molters enjoy a blast first thing in morning on -4 degree mornings. I DO wrap and staple an old towel to the roost bar to keep their feet warm, warm feet are warm birds. My roost bar is a 4x4 post, plenty of space for roosting with breast feathers covering all feet and toes.

I put this panel heater in 12 years ago. In January our overnight lows can hover at -5F to -10F and I wasn't sure the birds could handle it in my uninsulated coop... (grey panel on the wall)

View attachment 3630793
I turned it on at bedtime a couple of nights when it was already zero and in the morning all the birds had either scooted down the roost bar or were on the floor. It was frigid for me but they obviously didn't need it. So it rarely gets used, some heavy molters enjoy a blast first thing in morning on -4 degree mornings. I DO wrap and staple an old towel to the roost bar to keep their feet warm, warm feet are warm birds. My roost bar is a 4x4 post, plenty of space for roosting with breast feathers covering all feet and toes.
What brand of heating panel is this, please?
Thank you!

What brand of heating panel is this, please?
Thank you!
I purchased that on Amazon, let me go search my orders....

https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-CL-Radiant-Heater/dp/B00FRFFC4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=3B3EDFMBDZNIC&keywords=cozy+legs+flat+panel+heater&qid=1698244349&sprefix=cozy+legs+,aps,320&sr=8-4

I like that it comes with a temp reducer. I have used it full strength for hospital cages, (set it on bricks and layed it against the outside of the cage,) reduced strength across from the roost bar.

Back
Top Bottom