Help!!! Agressive Roo...big Daddy...DREW BLOOD PIC. ON 3RD PAGE

Never really heard of a roo that aggressive!!
th.gif
Jumping in the nests to attack your hands and attacking the fence to get at you?
ep.gif

I don't believe he will "settle down". He sounds like a vicious, needlessly aggressive roo and I would dispatch him quickly. I wouldn't even attempt to rehome a bird like that.
sad.png

Well like I said ...I had a total of 7 roos, and got rid of 6...the 6 that I did one could be his twin, the others were very agressive RIR's which I was told were agressive. And look what I got! I kept the sweet, lovable leghorn and BOOM..He is mean now. Well my leg IS INFECTED in 4 spots and I'm being treated. DH said that's it you know he has to go. I just stared at DH and I got and I mean butchered. He can't be sold or given, now with that agression. So I'm pretty upset. I rescue animals also.

I also have had problems with mean roosters, and I have tried many things. What seems to be working for me, so far, is that I have hobbled our rooster. I put a zip tie (not tight) on each leg and cut the excess -- so it looks like a bracelet. And then I have tied a strong string on each zip tie just long enough for him to walk and not run very fast. At first he tried to run and then would tumble head over heels.
lol.png
This seems to stop him from flogging me, fighting with the other rooster, and being mean to the hens. Be sure that the string is long enough for him to be able to walk up any ramp he needs to, but not so long that it can get caught on anything. I hope this works for you.

Someone mentioned the water hose. My Bo Jangles is up for dinner on Tuesday, however, call me sucker but the animal lover in me still can't face it. Anyway, hooked up hose today and took it with me into the pen and coop area. Someone said to be the aggressor and not wait until he attacks me so everytime he came out with hens I shot him with the water. Needless to say he stayed in the corner of the coop and never attacked once. I am going to keep trying this. Maybe you can try with your leghorn, too. good luck!

Lady...I hate to say it because I am not a quick one to cull HOWEVER he has drawn blood and his feathery butt would be meeting the stump and the axe. You are obviously going to have a problem with him and I do not think it can be corrected if he has gone this far.

Try what my DD did with our roo...he would run at her from behind and flap at her"...she gave him a lavender bubble bath and rinsed him with the hose...IN FRONT of his women. We have had no problems in nearly 2 months now. LOL

I can sympathize with you about 6 weeks ago my rather large Splash Orpington who has always been a really gentle rooster decided he wanted no part of me in his pen and he did the sneak attack from behind. I heard a noise and as I turned he attacked he sank both spurs into my leg and the spurs went underneath my knee cap well one spur hung and I had to snatch it out, when I got it out he decided to go for me again. Well I hauled off and kicked at him as he was coming at me and he ducked well I kicked him just under the head and he fell over and flopped on the ground I thought I had killed him but at the moment didn't really care as he had drawn blood on me and I was in lots of pain. Well after a few minutes he got up and shook himself off and from that moment when I walk in that pen he now goes to the other corner and stays there until I leave. Normally I wouldn't say for anyone to kick or hit their animals but when they go on the attack you I feel you must defend yourself and teach them a lesson in whatever way it takes. Otherwise its off to the stew pot.

I have an overload of cockerels, trying to determine the best breeder. The other day one of the roosters bumped my leg. I just brushed it off. After reading this thread, I know I didn't want this to get out of hand. When I went to feed yesterday I carried my little plastic scoop instead of the big metal one. Sure enough he hit my leg again, this time a little harder. I smacked him on the side of the head with the back side of the scoop. He backed up, frizzled his hackles and came at me again. I smacked him again then started screaming at him and chasing him around the run till he ducked and ran in the corner with his head down. I guess I should have crowed. Immediately another came at me with his hackles raised. The scene was repeated, then again with a third cockerel. Nobody else wanted to try me. This morning I went in to feed and everybody was very busy scratching around and "too busy" to pay any attention.

Our barred rock rooster went back to his breeder at around 5 months of age, he wasn't aggressive but he was terrified of us, had behavioral issues and was getting HUGE sharp feet and beak!!

We stopped potential problems *before* they started.

It was a hard decision to make but we never for one moment regretted it.

No doubt he ended up in the soup pot but it wasn't ours...

Too bad, so sad - he had 3 months to become docile enough to fit in our sweet, laid-back flock and he failed terribly.

hu.gif

My rooster tried to spur me this morning for the first time. I blocked him with a small container and he spurred that until he was breathing hard, then I pinned him on the ground and picked him up and carried him around the yard then brought him in the house and sat him on my lap for a few minutes. As soon as I picked him up he didn't struggle and was totally calm the whole time. I put him back in the coop and he walked away and left me alone. What is he thinking?

Back
Top Bottom