Help do not know what to do

Oh okay so if she has egg bound will that effect the legs and what symptoms should my duck have with egg bound?

@Amiga

Pretty much what you are seeing - legs not working right, panting, not moving around much.

Sometimes tail-pumping, where the tail bobs up and down. Sometimes straining, trying to pass the egg. May not be eating or drinking much.

Well she does try to move and she loves food and water i am giving her apple cider vinegar is that good

@Amiga

Yes

I would giver her at least 80 mg calcium daily - is she laying?

I am beginning to wonder if you are reluctant to treat her. Her symptoms sound serious and possibly indicate something life-threatening is going on. Is she walking? If not, that is a big deal.

I don't want to upset you, I want to urge you to help her.

Last edited:
I do want to treat her but no vets are open to day so i have to wait till tomorrow for now i want to do some home remedy's that help her with pain and calming her down and she has never had any eggs in her whole life i am going to start giving her some calcium but only i little to help. And believe me i am a duck lover i am treating as best as possible till i can get her to a vet so please give me some advice should i give her some wormier?

@Amiga

Last edited:
I am sure you care.

But what I am seeing is your description sounds like it could be egg binding - life-threatening.

There are two main things we do for egg binding while waiting for the vet.

Floating for an hour or so in lukewarm water (not cold, not like a pond or outdoor pool) and
Giving extra calcium

Have you done that yet?

Last edited:
Please listen to Amiga she is giving you good advice. No wormers right now that is not her problem.

Yes i have started yesterday with the water and today with the calcium so anything else to do?

@Amiga

Last edited:
I had an eggbound chicken (not duck) last night, for the first time ever. We are also duck owners, but they are not old enough to lay.

My husband and I ran a warm bath, and put epson salt and lavender in the water to help it relax. However, with a duck, I'm not sure I'd do lavender unless you can keep it from drinking the water. My husband felt her abdomen gentley, and felt that there was indeed an egg there. He put on a rubber glove, lubricated the glove in vaseline, and inserted his finger into her vent. He did not feel anything which told us that we were probably in the early stages of her being eggbound. I ran to the store and grabbed some calcium gel tabets. When I came home, we cut them open and syringed the liquid to her. It was 1,200mg but we were desperate and not all of it got in her. Then we inserted some preperation h in her vent, to reduce the swelling so there was room for the egg to come out. Then, we put her in a dark room by herself until she passed the egg.

The dark tells the "egg maker" to stop making new eggs. So, if you can, leave your duck in a dog crate or something in a dark room instead of letting her stay in the light.

I wouldn't feed her too much food because all of that food and water has to come out the same hole that the egg comes out. Is she still able to poop? It seems like that's when this gets really life threatening.

Back
Top Bottom