Help! Duckling hatching odd!

FrostHollow

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
Indiana, USA
This baby pipped last night and then this AM I found my young son had gone in and "dropped" the egg in the incubator. Baby is moving and peeping, most vessels have dried, but eyes are closed and there is a large veins blob in the shell with baby. What on Earth is that? What do I do now?!

Attachments

• 20230311_130504.jpg
    20230311_130504.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 15
That's an unabsorbed yolk sac. Don't try to pull or cut it off as this will lead to bleeding, infection, and likely death. I would put the baby in a small cup/container lined with paper towels inside the incubator so he can't move. Probably keep him in what's left of the shell, too. This way he can finish absorbing the yolk without him or a hatch mate rupturing the sac.

This baby pipped last night and then this AM I found my young son had gone in and "dropped" the egg in the incubator. Baby is moving and peeping, most vessels have dried, but eyes are closed and there is a large veins blob in the shell with baby. What on Earth is that? What do I do now?!
Oh dear!
That is the yolk
This baby is very premature

Ducklings take a very long time to hatch, it looks like this one needed a couple days.
I'm sure I'm saying what you already realise, but please please make sure your child can't do this again, not sure how old they are, I understand it can be tricky and I'm not blaming you

Place the baby (leaving him in the remaining shell), into a cup lined with paper towels, very gently. And leave it in the incubator in hopes of him absorbing the yolk. This is possible, but usually the yolk is far smaller in that situation.

I would prepare yourself for this one not making it. He may surprise us, but that's a lot of yolk left, so just be prepared for the worst.

I'll add, if baby is able to absorb this okay, I expect it will take at least 24 hours, maybe longer
So plenty of patience will be required

Oh dear!
That is the yolk
This baby is very premature

Ducklings take a very long time to hatch, it looks like this one needed a couple days.
I'm sure I'm saying what you already realise, but please please make sure your child can't do this again, not sure how old they are, I understand it can be tricky and I'm not blaming you

Place the baby (leaving him in the remaining shell), into a cup lined with paper towels, very gently. And leave it in the incubator in hopes of him absorbing the yolk. This is possible, but usually the yolk is far smaller in that situation.

I would prepare yourself for this one not making it. He may surprise us, but that's a lot of yolk left, so just be prepared for the worst.
Child is 7 and ODD/ADHD, but 100% understands the consequences of what he's done and I think the idea that baby may pass has gotten it through that no one but myself is to touch the incubator. Baby is still alive now, more active, peeping, chewing etc. Sac is smaller. I have a damp paper towel round baby and the rest of its egg so I'm hoping that further absorption will happen. I thought it looked very premature as well.

Here's praying that either baby makes it or goes without pain.

Child is 7 and ODD/ADHD, but 100% understands the consequences of what he's done and I think the idea that baby may pass has gotten it through that no one but myself is to touch the incubator. Baby is still alive now, more active, peeping, chewing etc. Sac is smaller. I have a damp paper towel round baby and the rest of its egg so I'm hoping that further absorption will happen. I thought it looked very premature as well.

Here's praying that either baby makes it or goes without pain.
Fingers crossed :fl
Keep us updated either way

Back
Top Bottom