HELP!!! duckling having seizure's.... Update...

yes please! I am curious to know what it was you used. I have given her vitamin b complex for now but I would love to treat them if there is an infection. I would hate myself if I lost them all.

I unfortunately Had to put her down last night. She was looking horrible and was obviously suffering. I made it as quick as I could, gave her a Burial next to the pond where I know she would have wanted to be and finally gave her a name and a gravestone. "Tweak" is now at peace, I guess losing the first is the hardest, but I do feel much better for her.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. I have epilepsy and it is awful going through seizures makes you very ill and tired and just bad. I don't have them constantly like the poor little duck, you did the right thing, I can't imagine.

I also have had a few Seizures and that is why I felt so horrible for her. she is much happier now.

hugs.gif
Good to hear she is no longer suffering. I know how hard it is to put an animal down. How are the other ducks looking?

everyone else is great. they absolutely LOVE being outside, and are strong as ever. My one Pekin duck is looking great since I separated her and brought her inside (I assume she is a girl since she is significantly smaller than the other, yet she is still huge), her fur is starting to grow back and she has FEATHERS! so I think I may be ok for now.

I just can't wait until they are old enough to free range so I can take a break!

Thanks again everyone for the information and support! Especially you ChickBoss-

smile.png
Glad to hear they are doing well! LOL, the day they are finially old enough is a happy day for sure, but I do kind of miss them once they make the big move. We are on the last round of brooding right now, and I think these ducks are going to have the youngest child syndrom.....Ha, Ha, Ha. Spoiled. (no offense to all the youngest children out there, I love my brother....
smile.png
) Glad you're out of the woods, take care.

Sorry, just got back to the computer. I used a tetracycline - Duramycin to be specific. I added it to their waterer at about 1 Tbs per 3 gallons (water turns bright yellow) for 7-10 days. They have to remain on it that entire time to prevent resistance developing in the bacteria.

Here is what the seizures looked like in my ducklings:
(warning, its kinda hard to watch) - You can also see the relative size difference with the rest of the cohort that are the same age. This is after 1 day of seizures, but obviously a few days into the infection (impossible to see it coming imo).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom