Help! Dying chicks

Rosto

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Alabama
I bought my dad an assortment of Polish,Cochins, Orloffs, and Guineas for Father's Day. He received them in August. So, they are about three-four months old. This morning he found one Cochin and two Orloffs dead. The remaining birds are listless, fluffed up, and eyes shut. They do not seem to be eating or drinking this morning. One of the Cochins had liquid dripping from its mouth when he picked it up to examine. They are all clustered together under their heat lamp. Any ideas to save these guys? They mean a lot to him!

Last edited:
You definitely want to keep them warm. Are they in an outdoor coop? If so what are the temps like?

How many birds are there? If possible I would probably try to bring them inside, they sound cold and they need to stay toasty. See if you can tempt them to eat by offering some scrambled egg (don't use non-stick pans if the birds are in the house though).

Do they have any facial swelling? Are they sneezing or otherwise do they have a stuffed up nose? Any heavy breathing? Does their poop look normal? Share any symptoms that they may have. Have there been any changes to their environment (new birds, chemicals used to clean the coop, etc..)?

Last edited:
They are housed in a nice coop. The bedding is straw. We haven't changed our food brand, and they are given fresh water daily. Another died a few minutes ago.

There is no wheezing or signs of illness other than being cold and fluffed feathers.

They are housed in a nice coop. The bedding is straw. We haven't changed our food brand, and they are given fresh water daily. Another died a few minutes ago.

How does their poop look?

nvm i saw the fathers day so they are not still chicks.

Only 3 months old so still could have chick related problems like coccidia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom