Help! EGgshell stuck to chick

rsarns

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Chick hatched last night but has a BIG piece of eggshell stuck to its back, how do I get it off. I have left it all day to see if it would come off but to no avail.

Where is the egg shell? How big? If it's not in the abdominal area, you could get a moistened Q-tip and try to gently moisten it so it will loosen. Have all of the other chicks hatched yet. If not, you can wait until they do.

2nd one has a piece stuck to it's little wing but will leavei it as it just hatched an hour ago... do you think my hunidity is too low causing this? Running 50-60% as advised for Marans...

Last edited:
I had one last hatch that had the same problem, 17 others hatched fine, she had the shell stcuk on. Two days later it was still on her so I pulled her out and used a warm wet paper towel to soak the shell, it came off after about a minute. I then put her back into the hatcher to get a blow dry for a bit before going back to the brooder. Good luck with your chicks!

Quote:
X2 worked for me to . I noticed its always the last to hatch in a batch that have miner shrink rap and or egg shell sticking . I personally shoot for 65-75% humidity for lock down . But even with the humidity there I have had that problem when a chick pips but dosnt rip for5 or more hours .

Well not a good hatch so far, 3 chicks hatched, 2 others died aftger pipping.... I did not try to help them out... and they were dead this morning. They never even tried to zip by the looks of it. Still have several eggs in the incubator with nothing happeneing... I will give them another day and see what happens... not having much luck with this.... Temps stayed constant throughout, kept humidity as advised, and bumped it up to 55-60% after lockdown. Will do eggtopsys tomorrow and see. Using Hovabator 1588 with eggturner and remove turner at lockdown. Any advice is welcome. Currently have 10 eggs in the other incubator on day 8, they look good so far. The two with shells stuck are doing fine, shells came off with warm water on a soft cloth easily....

Last edited:
I got lucky and hatched 30 out of 33. The last struggled and I had to remove some of the shell. Now he has dried with a real hard goo on him. What can I do?

Despite breed, I would shoot for higher humidity. At LEAST 65%. I run mine 75% or higher. I have heard arguments on whether marans needed lower, but obviously there is a problem and I would almost put money on it that it's the low humidity.

Back
Top Bottom