Help! How to get feathers back?

md1812

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
My Wyandotte hen is missing almost her entire saddle! Its been like this for about a year now.
After she molted I saw some shafts starting to appear so I stopped worrying some, but now it's all completely gone again because the others pick on her.

Does anyone know what I could do to help the feathers grow back or get the others to stop picking? Sadly I don't have anywhere to seperate her from the flock. :( her wing is kind of I the way.

I've got a lot of hens like that as well. It isn't because hens pick on them, its because the roosters breed with them so much. Its means their popular
smile.png

There are specially made saddles you can buy or make that protect hens from their romantic rooster friends. This should solve the problem. As for stopping them from picking on her, you could get more hens so the rooster have more girls to fall in love with or you may have too many roosters. Sometimes the lowest hens in the pecking order get the worst back problems, at least in my flock.

Don't know how well you can see, but the barred hen in the center is missing feathers on her wings and back. Sometimes the wings will be swollen because of this. Mean roosters.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom