HELP!!! Intestines (?) is coming out from butt!!

I read it, newbiechickenowner. I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.png

Quote:
Yes I did but keep coming back
sad.png

I just opened cage and found bloody eggy... Poor kid.
Put Prep H and hope it will heal...

Ok, so now we know she was trying to pass an egg.

It's important now that she get some good source of calcium, often a hen being egg bound is missing this. Are you feeding oyster shell? If not, please get some. But even with free choice oyster shell, some hens don't get enough. What you can do, is hard boil some eggs, mash them with the shells on, and feed them back to the hens. Cooked eggs won't hurt them, they'll love them in fact. And that gets some calcium back into them.

Some people use yogurt as well, not sure if that's effective or not, never done it.

Also, you may wish to add some Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water (about three tablespoons per gallon), which will assist in the hens absorbing the calcium from the oyster shells.

Quote:
She is free range chicken so I thought I don't have to give oyster shells... When I went to buy Flock Raiser feed, I picked up a bag of oyster shell. I put in her food but she is not eating...
Is it OK to feed calcium now?? I thought I should make her stop laying eggs now because of her butt...

I checked this morning, nothing changed
sad.png

I cleaned her up with warm water and put Prep H and push it back...
I don't know what I can do for her more than that...
It's so nice out and I wish I could take her out and get some fresh air and grass....

Quote:
yes, but, we were successful two times before, BUT, it is not a quick fix...if you look, it took a good 10-14 days to treat each cycle...She does NOT need calcium right now....she needs to NOT produce an egg at all. You will find her with a prolapse with an egg stuck in it hanging out of her butt...trust me...been there. Just keep with the routine, 3 times a day, as outlined in the posts and you will be doing the best you can. it is a long process. Good luck and I hope to hear of a successful outcome, but, patience will be the key along with, most importantly, perseverence if you want to hang in there with her.

Quote:
She is free range chicken so I thought I don't have to give oyster shells... When I went to buy Flock Raiser feed, I picked up a bag of oyster shell. I put in her food but she is not eating...
Is it OK to feed calcium now?? I thought I should make her stop laying eggs now because of her butt...

I checked this morning, nothing changed
sad.png

I cleaned her up with warm water and put Prep H and push it back...
I don't know what I can do for her more than that...
It's so nice out and I wish I could take her out and get some fresh air and grass....

When she starts feeling better, take her out in the early evenings for a few minutes to walk around...with you there so that you can make sure she doesn't get pecked...a tear at that will set you back. Just follow the steps and you are doing everything you can.

Back
Top Bottom