HELP!!! Intestines (?) is coming out from butt!!

Quote:
You are an amazing chicken mama! Wow. I hope she's ok. Remember once they've prolapsed, it can happen again so keep an eye out.

I'm so happy to hear your girl is feelin better. I just found my one yr old "Lilac" a Silver laced Wyandotte with a prolapse vent this evening. We cleaned her up, trimmed some feathers around her vent (poor girl was a mess since it has been raining the past several days), & pushed it back in. I was worried about infection so wiped a little betadine around her butt. Cleaned up an area in the garage and set up the large dog crate we had them in as babies. A few hours later it was out again (about 1 in.) with white oozy stuff. (Egg??) We cleaned her up in a warm bath and tried the Prep H. Am hoping this will help. Will keep her in the covered cage for as long as it takes. I'm only feeding her scratch for now.
Thanks to this website for all of the great info. Keepin our fingers crossed.
Diana & Ignacio
2 Basset Hounds, 1 Dashchund- Staffordshire mix, 6 kitties, 2 Delawares, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Silver laced Wyandottes, 1 Americauna, 2 Polish, & 1 white broody Silkie

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:jumpy

She looks good now! No eggs and no prolapse for a week now!
Her butt looks normal and she is so wanting to go outside.
I will let her out today and we'll see.
I will keep eye on her.

thank you for the inspiration everyone.
I have a Barred Rock that is going through her first prolapsed vent and Im just sick over it. im so worried about her. I cried all last night after my "chicken lady" told me over the phone I would probably have to cull... Its good to hear about success stories.
Im treating the way you all have described, and stopping off to get some prepH today after work. She seems ok (except that her innards are outards) and is eating some scratch and lettuce leaves. Im going to clip her butt feathers this afternoon. I just love this community of chicken people! you all are truely a Godsend.
cross your finger for me
fl.gif

sixxchixx,
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Keep us updated!! I thought I couldn't save my girl but I did so you can do it, too!!

My girl is back in the coop today.
She was pecked by #1 and #2. (She is #3)
I was outside with them for few hours. First she didn't fight back, but she started runaway from trouble so I hope she is OK.
They all went in the coop and seems fine...

Now I have to find out next time (I hope it's not soon) she lays egg, prolapse comes back or not...

well its night two in her solitary confinement... she seems to really hate that part. I soaked her, blew her dry and clipped her rear end feathers and used the prepH. the prolapse seems to have shrunken, its about 1cm now instead of 1 1/2". she still pushes it out though. Im optimistic because she is still bright eyed and inquisitive when I approach. She ate some grapes from my hand and some more lettuce. Im just worried about her being 'egg bound' because she didnt lay today. its not totally dark where she is; just "cloudy" under a sheet and beach towell. If shes still with us tomorrow ill soak her again and do it all over. I was wondering, I read that "fat" chickens get this... how do i know if shes fat and not just fluffy? My Buff Orp is bigger too but I think they are just made that way. is there somthing i can do to prevent it in my other hens?

My avatar is a pic of Nefertiti.
See, shes too sweet to die from this.

I don't think prolapsed vent is only for fat chickens. My girl is smallest in my flock and she got it.
Anyway, how is your girl doing??? Feel better???

Back
Top Bottom