Help me confirm I have a rooster on my hands?

girlalex

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Hi! I got 5 chickens two months ago - three were hatched January 20th and two were hatched February 20th. Two of the January chickens are Cuckoo Marans, and I strongly suspect that one of them is actually a rooster. The photo shows both Marans -- one of much bigger, has a larger comb, definitely struts around the most of the five, and ... for the topper ... yesterday started crowing.

Follow-up question: any in Austin TX want a free rooster? Roosters aren't allowed within city limits, and I'm not paying for feed for a chicken not giving me eggs ;)

Thanks!

Attachments

• rooster-hen.jpg
    rooster-hen.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 18
I'd image if it crows, it's a rooster. You could always eat it if its big enough.

Thanks! I've heard of hens crowing, but that's normally once they're old and done laying, not young ones. I'd be happy processing him, though how big is big enough? I usually just throw my old hens into the stew pot.

Cockerel on left
Pullet on right

You can try posting in the 'Chickens 8 Weeks ad Older' forum, or 'Animals in need of free Rehoming' forum. Or, ou could eat him. They are pretty tasty and tender when young.

Back
Top Bottom