Help my chicks leg is gone

saddlebags

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
weatherford Texas
I have two three week old arucanas . Today they were in the tractor getting some sun I went in for some tea .When I went back out one of the chicks feet was missing just at the bottom where the claw starts. I think something must have tried to pull the chick through the bottom of the tractor and took her foot off .
My question is what kind of medication should i put on it or what should i do for her she seems to be getting around and eating but I know she needs some kind of medicine so the leg wont get infected.
Thanks for the help
James

I would start by keeping the foot clean and the bird warm and fed. Put antibiotics in the water and vitamins wouldn't hurt. You could also put an antibiotic cream on the foot.

Wait, is she just missing part of her toe, or is her whole foot gone? If its just a toe, keep it clean and keep her warm.

I had good luck using neosorin, and making a little bootie out of gauze, vetwrap and adhesive tape for one of my chickens that caught his toe in wire and tore off a piece. I kept him in a dog crate with his bootie on for about a week, then he was good to go!

If it's the whole foot you may want to consider humanely euthanizing her. Chickens are ground birds and generally don't do well 1-legged.

if the entire foot with bone exposed you should really ask a vet which AB you should get and have it bandaged in such a way that no bacteria from the ground can get to it (until healed you need to separate to a cage with shavings and keep scrupulously clean till healed) exposed bone is easily infected and there are several pathogenic bacteria even in "clean" (no chicken poo) ground.
If so inclined you could figure out some kind of presthetic "attachment"after it heals to help it walk better.

Back
Top Bottom