Help! Nearly 5wk old Pekin Ducklings pecking at little wings!

Hi Miss Lydia.
Yes lm wondering if they could get angelwing as an after effect from the nipping and pulling of the wingtips? To me it would make sense they would but lm not sure?
I will try for photos.
Usually angel wing comes from feeding a high protein diet or it could be genetic. but it could be a defect if the wing tips were abused enough. I guess by now they are fully feathered? usually if you notice the tips of the wings beginning to stick out like a hitch hikers thumb you wrap right away and while the feathers are growing in the wrapping helps them grow in at normal position. One BYC member didn't wrap her gosling when it came down with angel wing so she had to wait till first molt and once all old flight feathers fell out and new ones started growing in she wrapped and it fixed it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial#post_8682154
here is some info

Last edited:
Thank you hun. I have a good read!
2 have wat looks like all their feathers (cant see the wing tips now) but 2 others (the worse ones bitten) - 1 has 1 wing tip poking out and the the other has both poking out.
But those ones feathers havent quite opened yet it looks like. Can they still step over stuff and not loose balance (l have a step over into the sleeping part) and lm worried they wont be able to keep balance if the wings are tied up as such?

Thank you hun. I have a good read!
2 have wat looks like all their feathers (cant see the wing tips now) but 2 others (the worse ones bitten) - 1 has 1 wing tip poking out and the the other has both poking out.
But those ones feathers havent quite opened yet it looks like. Can they still step over stuff and not loose balance (l have a step over into the sleeping part) and lm worried they wont be able to keep balance if the wings are tied up as such?

I had the same worry when we figured our little Io had angel wing... luckily, we caught it really early and Miss Lydia gave us good advice too (she's really good at that)... now Io only had one wing like that, but at first I wrapped it up and over both wings for a little bit just so the little one could get used to it without falling and damaging the other wing... within minutes Io was running around without a care just fine, and the wrap fixed the wing up just fine... :)

Io with both wings wrapped...

Now with just the one wrapped...

Wing all better...

And now Io is a happier duck... :)

Well l had a good look today while they were out and it seems feathers are nearly completely formed. l have a few pix but not sure how to post them as lm using my phone?

You should be able to post pics by clicking this button and choosing pics from your phone...

Back
Top Bottom