HELP - NOT Vent Prolapse! Pics!!! Update!

I know this is an old thread, but this just happened to one of my hens yesterday afternoon. Can anyone tell me what they think caused this? My hen is still very swollen and it doesn't seem to be going down much. The wound is starting to heal, i think, thanks to having Vetericyn on hand and being able to get it on her pretty quickly. She did have an egg that needed to be laid and she finally did that. Now I'm waiting for the swelling to go down and wondering what might be next for her. She is eating and drinking well, a little more withdrawn today than yesterday but i'm guessing that's from the pain. I'm getting ready to give her aspirin in her water, had to find some with no coating on them to crush up. Can anyone weigh in on this for me please, thank you so much!
Here is a pic of Delilah right after we found her.

okay so does no one have any information that might help me here? At this point, I am just waiting to see if she will heal properly and be able to go back with the rest of her sister hens. Was hoping someone might give me a little insight on how healing goes with a wound this severe or any advice at all. I'm still new to all this and love any info I can get my hands on. Thanks anyway.

okay so does no one have any information that might help me here? At this point, I am just waiting to see if she will heal properly and be able to go back with the rest of her sister hens. Was hoping someone might give me a little insight on how healing goes with a wound this severe or any advice at all. I'm still new to all this and love any info I can get my hands on. Thanks anyway.
Just now looking at posts/threads about prolapse and things hanging out of vents... one of mine has what looks like a big hemorrhoid coming out and I'm getting ready to go out there and take a better look and clean her up. I am wondering what you all did for your hens of the pictures you've posted here? Hope they are now OK.

I'm wondering how your birds have done. The ones with the prolapse? Did it happen again? We just dealt with it at our house. Seehttp://cackleberryfun.blogspot.com/2013/10/late-night-chicken-calls.html for details. Since what I'm reading leads me to believe this is a uterine tissue issue, I am implementing a uterine health tea (I'm a doula - going to school to be a midwife) to help avoid this problem for our other birds. I'm hoping I can avoid a repeat in-spite of all the negative talk on google.

I'm wondering how your birds have done. The ones with the prolapse? Did it happen again? We just dealt with it at our house. Seehttp://cackleberryfun.blogspot.com/2013/10/late-night-chicken-calls.html for details. Since what I'm reading leads me to believe this is a uterine tissue issue, I am implementing a uterine health tea (I'm a doula - going to school to be a midwife) to help avoid this problem for our other birds. I'm hoping I can avoid a repeat in-spite of all the negative talk on google.
CackleJoy,
I haven't been on here for quite awhile - just getting caught up w/ different forums the past few days. I didn't hear about the others on here, but ours with the prolapse died November 15th. Hers was totally out of her vent, whatever it was, and would not stay in. I tried several days cleaning and poking it back in, and it would not stay in. She had this once before, only much smaller, and it stayed in for quite awhile. Kept on laying eggs, at least every other day, usually every day - and it didn't pop out again, until this time, when it wouldn't stay in at all and a lot bigger. So I left it, didn't read much that would have helped her, and after several days, she died during the night. Do you know of anything that will prevent/relieve/fix the problem if it happens to any of the other birds?

CackleJoy,
I haven't been on here for quite awhile - just getting caught up w/ different forums the past few days. I didn't hear about the others on here, but ours with the prolapse died November 15th. Hers was totally out of her vent, whatever it was, and would not stay in. I tried several days cleaning and poking it back in, and it would not stay in. She had this once before, only much smaller, and it stayed in for quite awhile. Kept on laying eggs, at least every other day, usually every day - and it didn't pop out again, until this time, when it wouldn't stay in at all and a lot bigger. So I left it, didn't read much that would have helped her, and after several days, she died during the night. Do you know of anything that will prevent/relieve/fix the problem if it happens to any of the other birds?
I don't know if what we are doing will work long term. It has been two months and we have not had a repeat yet, she is also still laying eggs. How long did you get between incidents?

I do a postpartum tea every now and then and feed the tea leavings to the birds as treats, I also put the cooled tea into a 1 gal waterer and let them drink it. You could do something rather inexpensive that is similar in nature by just brewing a Red Raspberry Leaf, Nettle and Alfalfa tea. You can get the whole herbs at a bulk health food store. I'd do a recipe like this : 1 part Red Raspberry, 1/2 part Alfalfa, 1/4 part Nettle. Brew 1 Tbs tea per qt of water. Let steep for 10 min. Drain out tea leavings, feed to the chickens, give them the tea in a waterer. This combination is full of calcium and is powerful for an afterbirth tea. It strengthens a human uterus so I figure it ought to do a chicken some good too! I don't do this often, just when I think about it.

If you ever have a small prolapse again, try a warm bath for the chicken and then put honey on the prolapse. It should go back in without any manipulation. A large prolapse like you experienced is probably fatal no matter what you do. I'm hoping for the best with our girl! We did keep her from being messed with by a rooster. I think that may help the healing process.

Was it prolapse or possibly a hernia?
Not sure but I think it was prolapse, by everything I've read. A herniated prolapse? They may be the same thing. It was very big the second time - a little bigger than a golf ball, red, bleeding, very raw-looking. It protruded right from the vent.

Quote:
....How long did you get between incidents?

It was about 4-5 weeks, if I remember correctly. I read the articles in the links you posted - I would definitely try the honey if it happens to anybody else. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom