Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

Tylan 200 2 cc's every other night for 3 doses; and this was his last dose...he was way better; perhaps I should've left him alone. ;(
The *most* I have seen recommended is 40mg/kg, that's 1.2 cc's for a *large adult* male. Not positive, but I think the more commonly used dose is closer to 30mg/kg. To calculate dose for Tylan 200, weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times the mg/kg you want to use, divide by 200.

Here are some examples:

Large adult male (13.2 pounds) - 13.2 ÷ 2.2 x 30 ÷ 200 = 0.9 cc
Small adult male or large adult female (8.8 pounds) - 8.2 ÷ 2.2 x 30 ÷ 200 = 0.56 cc
Small adult female (6.6 pounds) - 6.6 ÷ 2.2 x 30 ÷ 200 = 0.45 cc

When giving the shot, did you maybe get the needle too near the neck bone? I suspect you somehow injected too close to a nerve.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Cooking dinner, but will be back to go through the rest of the thread.

Last edited:
Found some liquid Corid! 0.4 cc per bird x 5 days is our plan... Hopefully this works!
1f601.png

all the vet said is there were more then 10 not sure what that means and all I could find in town as everthing was closed bu the time I got there was amprol 128 20% soluble powder I mixed 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon of water this would equal 2.19 grams is this the correct dosage. I can get corrid liquid in the morning but would like to get them started with this right away

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

-Kathy

I did bring him inside.. We are treating upper respiratory infection/?pneumonia... Some of their eyes were swollen/mattered **** and breathing thru their mouths, with some of them gurgling. But like I said, the rest are better, thankfully!!!

How wretched, so sorry! :hugs   Am not one of the experts, but wanted to ask if you could give any specifics as to how/where you gave the injections?  It sounds like you were doing the best thing you could for him, and the antibiotics were needed, so it's a hard thing to have happen :hit

I have a vague recollection of reading over on the UPA forum some time back that there is a possibility of tissue damage from antibiotic injections... but not sure you had much choice under these circumstances.  You might try researching over there on Tylan, but I didn't find anything really helpful when I just did a quick look.

Hang in there.

You are correct, injectable tylosin (Tylan 50 and 200) have been known to cause *severe* injection site necrosis. FWIW, the one time I used it, the chicken hen did have a reaction.

-Kathy

Just wondering if maybe I hit a nerve, and hopefully this is all temporary. And NO avian vets around here to help. And we've already lost two peafowl this week from their disease. :( :(

If they aren't drinking and eating they need to have fluids tubed, then fluids and baby bird food or they will continue to die. Sick birds also need to be kept warm. Check out the tube feeding link in my sig.

-Kathy

Just wondering if maybe I hit a nerve, and hopefully this is all temporary. And NO avian vets around here to help. And we've already lost two peafowl this week from their disease. :( :(

How AWFUL, I am so sorry you are going through this. :hugs   Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in soon, but in the meantime, supportive therapy is smart.

I went back to the UPA site and searched some more...  apparently tissue damage/deterioration at the injection site is always a possibility, but again, sometimes there aren't any good choices :hit

Here's hoping he gets better soon :fl

He is 1 1/2 yrs old. Tylan 200, 2 cc's every other day x 3. That was the last dose.

How much does he weigh? Surely not enough to justify 400mg of tylosin (Tylan)? Did a vet tell you to medicate him this way?

-Kathy

thanks for the response/advice I'm going out to collect fecal sample they are going to do the fecal float and said if they cant find anything they will  send a sample off to the lab the cost is 25.00 to 30.00 dollars which is a small price to pay to save my birds also I asked about your suggestion of trying baytril and penicillin as baytril is by script only they said they would check into it as far as my other peacock she said maybe hit a nerve and give him a week and see if he gets any better again thanks for the advice

Generic 10% Baytril is available without a prescription. The amount I give mine is 0.9ml per pound and I give it by injection or orally. Injectable penicillin must be given by injection, but injectable Baytril can be given either way.

-Kathy

the closest vet that we have that knows anything about peafowl/birds is 250 miles away so we have to communicate via phone. we live in south Dakota. we are thinking maybe we hit a nerve not sure though we tried going just under the skin and not injecting into the breast muscle as it could damage the muscle. we used 25g x 5/8 needle as far as the dose if I should me doing it different I will there are so many different opinions on how to do it. It is so hard to find anybody in this area that knows anything about peafowl/birds so any advice or help is greatly appreciated

Google how to give subcutaneous injections to birds. If I were you, I would give them a little further back, like between his wings as there are air sacs in the neck area. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom