Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

It is best to give meds every day, why every other day? doing this allows the meds to be weak and less effective in their system IMO
If you have ever taken meds many time the prescription will tell you to double the dose if you miss one
wink.png

Is he any better this morning?

Last edited:
The vets and experts we talked to said every other day, as could overdose if give it daily.. ? Hes still the same this morning. Fed him some oatmeal and gave him fluids.
1f64f.png

That makes very little sense to me. Usually a medication is measured for the weight of the bird then administered so that a certain level of that medication is maintained for the duration of the treatment. Those treatments are usually for three to seven days depending on the ailment.

My opinion still stands that the problem you are treating for is a secondary problem caused by a primary that may have not been assessed yet, compounded by the stress of handling the already stressed bird.

Have you done a fecal float examination yet?

The vets and experts we talked to said every other day, as could overdose if give it daily.. ? Hes still the same this morning. Fed him some oatmeal and gave him fluids.
1f64f.png
I would be finding another vet /vets for advise, i have been dealing with fowl for close to 50 years and not one time have i ever heard or been recommend skipping a day of treatment.

To be honest i find it a bit disturbing that a vet/vets would give advice without at least seeing your animal/animals first, so many things can come into play that may not be communicated over the phone.

I am also wondering if mabe the needle pierced his neck hitting nerves around the vertebra, so many possibilities here.

Last edited:
the closest vet that we have that knows anything about peafowl/birds is 250 miles away so we have to communicate via phone. we live in south Dakota. we are thinking maybe we hit a nerve not sure though we tried going just under the skin and not injecting into the breast muscle as it could damage the muscle. we used 25g x 5/8 needle as far as the dose if I should me doing it different I will there are so many different opinions on how to do it. It is so hard to find anybody in this area that knows anything about peafowl/birds so any advice or help is greatly appreciated

You do not have to have a peafowl or any type of fowl expert to be able to do a fecal float exam. It is a common procedure for finding the eggs in the stool of dogs cats, and other pets. Call around to any regular vet, a farm vet would be best but ask them if they do fecal floats and how much they charge, they should be around twenty dollars. Start with collecting fresh droppings from a number of your flock, a pea size from eight to ten different stools is recommended.

I have been through hell this year with my peas and I assure you that you need to know IF there is a worm load (and what kind), or IF you have Coccidiosis that need to be taken care of or you will never get rid of the secondary infections that came along with the worms.

It is probably too late to do much of anything for the stricken pea but it is not too late to save the rest of the flock. Once you know if you have worms or cocci then you can take on the respiratory infection. This is not a recommendation on what to do, but, the best results I had clearing it up was daily injections for three days of 1 ml Baytril and 1 ml Penicillin. It is called a duplex shot, meaning that both meds are in the same hypo and given just under the skin at the base of the neck.

To keep from stressing your birds any more than necessary have a helper. Catch the bird by penning it to the ground, find and extend the legs straight back with one hand and hold the bird down by placing the other hand on the back. Then you can use both hands to pinch and pull the flesh up with one hand and insert the needle with the other. Aim the needle from back to front to more easily find the skin and avoid piercing feathers. Do not dally, get it done and the bird released asap. When done hold the bird down and back away, usually they will lay there until the figure they are free and get up slowly. It is very easy to go through both sides of the skin and completely miss the bird, be careful that the needle tip is still inside of the bird before injecting the medication.

thanks for the response/advice I'm going out to collect fecal sample they are going to do the fecal float and said if they cant find anything they will send a sample off to the lab the cost is 25.00 to 30.00 dollars which is a small price to pay to save my birds also I asked about your suggestion of trying baytril and penicillin as baytril is by script only they said they would check into it as far as my other peacock she said maybe hit a nerve and give him a week and see if he gets any better again thanks for the advice

thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a good plan please keep us updated as to what is going on we can all learn from your experiences and that will be helpful to us all.
I will be praying for you pretty
hugs.gif
an please post some photos when ever one feels well enough for a photo shoot
wink.png

If you choose to treat with anther medication make sure you know if there is a waiting period and how long sence you have been treating with tylan,vet rex(campher) and anything else you may have been using.

I haven't ever delt with this so i do not know alot of things about it just what others have shared here

Is there any improvement in your bird today? So sorry for what you are going through
hugs.gif
Really glad you've been able to get a vet involved.

It sounded as though you had the acute respiratory stuff resolved (or resolving), that's good news, so maybe you won't need more antibiotics. And depending on what comes out of the fecal float, you can treat the birds appropriately.

Also, if you do end up needing more antibiotics, I think there's a version of Tylan for oral administration (I've read where folks advise against giving the injectable version down the throat). Anyway, if there's any way to resolve the problem with oral antibiotics, that might be safer. But sometimes there are just no good choices. Sounds like you've done a lot for your peas, and a lot of people might not have done as well as what you've managed so far. Hang in there!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom