Help pick backyard breed

Not sure where to get them. Looks like I have to order 8 if I get one from mypetchicken. I really don’t want baby chicks either. Would prefer to have them ready to put in the coop without any special stuff needed. How old do they have to be for that?
Fully feathered, which is usually 8+ weeks. POL pullets are usually sold at 20 weeks. It will be difficult for you to find bantam started pullets, as most places only sell standard.

If you end up getting chicks, I'd recommend splitting an order because you will be getting straight run bantams (with probably at least one rooster) from anywhere else.

I'd recommend MyPetChicken as they are the only hatchery that offers sexed bantams.
Cackle Hatchery also offers sexed bantams of a few breeds, including Barred Rock Bantam (black & white), Rhode Island Red Bantam (brown), and a few other kinds.

They will ship as few as 5 bantams, which is still a little more than 3 but at least getting close.

Those are day-old chicks, not older chickens.

I don't know of any specific company that sells started bantam pullets, but sometimes Craigslist might have adds for people selling some.

And this forum has a for sale section, and a section with threads for each state that I think also get used for rehoming birds.

Although Cochin are cute, I would not recommend them for someone new to chickens, as they have heavily feathered feet that lead to a lot of issues and lean legged chickens tend to pick on them causing their feet to bleed:
1612712440752.png

Although Cochin are cute, I would not recommend them for someone new to chickens, as they have heavily feathered feet that lead to a lot of issues and lean legged chickens tend to pick on them causing their feet to bleed:
View attachment 2520247
That isn't really my experience with cochins, as I've been told by many (real life) friends that have them that they are the easiest and haven't had any problems.

Smaller full size breeds might be an option if you don't want to risk roos from bantam straight runs. Someone mentioned cream legbars earlier, which we love. They do like to range, though.

Silver laced polish or white crested black polish might make a good "oreo". Polish are smaller, quiet, and ridiculously cute. They come in all colors and could be an option for any or all of your 3.

If I were in your situation personally, I'd probably go cream legbar (blue eggs), barnevelder (dark brown eggs), and polish (white eggs) for variety. Or 3 different colored polish.

Good luck with your little flock!

Think we’ve decided to get three bantams. My little girl wants a black and white one so she can name it Oreo lol. My son says he wants a solid brown one. I guess the third is something different. What do y’all think?
If you want a solid brown one you could maybe get a Rhode Island Red and then for the third you could maybe get a Speckled Sussex for the last one.

Back
Top Bottom