Help please...1st time to try and hatch baby ducks

I ended up helping (right or wrong). I turned on the shower all the way hot, turned on a floor heater and got a wash rag very warm. Quickly grabbed the baby and took him to the bathroom.

Chipped away the shell with tweezers and dabbed water on the membrane which was hard as a rock. Took about half of the shell but stopped when I got close to his body. No sign of any blood.

Wrapped him in a warm paper towel and put him back in the incubator. He chirped for a while and is finally asleep. I have no regrets...the little guy was other going anywhere on his own.

Not sure if he will make it or if I will need to help more tomorrow. I have a lot more reading to do...

Any help would be great. I will attach a picture.

Looks like you did fine. What are you moistening the membrane with? Water will dry up quickly and need moistened often, so I use Vaseline. Others use antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, etc. Just make sure NO pain reliever in it. If you have something like that on hand, it will keep it moist longer than water.

I'm on mobile at the moment, so can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like you have it in a position to wiggle out when its ready. Ducklings really test our patience, but they take a while to absorb all the blood and the yolk, so I'd just let him rest and then let him push out on his own.

And in a pinch, here's a link with some good assist folks, if you need quick help and don't get quick enough responses here. I fell asleep before your post last night and sometimes the overnights are quiet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/5040#post_17188788

Good luck! I'll be anxious for another update today :fl

Baby made it through the night! I was using water so I will put vaseline on tonight when I get home.

I really hope the sweet little thing makes it!

Can he go all day without the vaseline or should I have my mom put it on...she is very close?

Thanks so much!

Does the incubator have a fan? Sometimes the fan will dry them out faster, and I would bet that it would be dry after a few hours. But still-air will last a little longer.

Maybe you could get her to check it and apply Vaseline if it looks too dry?

Yes, it has a fan. I talked to my mom and she is going to apply the vaseline.

Thank you so much for your help! I will post more when I get an update!

Awesome Mom!

Also, with the fan, the wet paper towel isn't really necessary. The fan tends to cool the towel quicker and dry it out too, so personally, I don't use them. If you feel better leaving it, some people do use them.

My mom applied the vaseline. But the sweet thing is just staying put.

When I get home tonight I guess I will try to peel away some more of the shell.

Do I need to try and give him a drink know or is he still absorbing the yolk? Technically today is only day 27, he just started early. Will he be ok for a while longer?

My mom applied the vaseline. But the sweet thing is just staying put.

When I get home tonight I guess I will try to peel away some more of the shell.

Do I need to try and give him a drink know or is he still absorbing the yolk? Technically today is only day 27, he just started early. Will he be ok for a while longer?

I would leave him just like that, even until tomorrow. Just keep that membrane moist. It looks to me like plenty of shell is chipped away, so I'd let him sit in there, and fully absorb everything.

If he starts wiggling and looks stuck, then I'd maybe chip more shell, but he can breathe now, and just needs to take everything in. Then he will be ready to pop out on his own.

And no, he doesn't need anything to eat or drink yet.

Great job!

Back
Top Bottom