Help please...1st time to try and hatch baby ducks

Carolinebigsky

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2016
Hi...this is my first time to try and hatch baby ducks. We have pond across the street with lots of ducks. We had a nest at the house but it got attacked and the mom abandoned it. We bought an incubator after 2 days and put in 14 eggs.

We are at day 25 and I removed the automatic egg turner. While putting the egg back in the incubator I noticed a small crack in one egg. It grew over a few hours and wobbled...but I am concerned they the baby will not be able to get air...since there is not a true hole, only cracking.

Also...the other remaining 8 eggs have not moved...we lost some early and only have 9 now.

Will the baby be ok with just cracks? There are a lot...but no hole.

Thanks!

I absolutely love my 2 babies. Who knew you could fall in love with ducks. Oh my gosh. Been doing swimming lessons each day...supervised of course.

Look who is trying to stand up!!!! I have a container within the incubator so he can stay snuggled up for the night... He freaked out then his body touched the wire on the bottom.

Candles the others and I do not see any movement...so strange. He / she might be the only one. I did find a stinky egg so I removed it.

Babies are 2.5 weeks. They have some sprouts of feathers on their tails. They are an absolute blast! Still keep them inside but take them out 4 times a day and swim them 2 or 3 times a day. Bought them a house for the fall...but won't leave them there until we build a bottom cap to keep predators out.

We have our yard in 3 sections so they can eventually hang out in 1 section during the day and lock them up at night.

Total love

Sorry...what you saw was a paint rolling pan. I used that at first so they could rest.

I attached some pics of the one my husband built

That's nice!

I am heartbroken to let you know that our mallard...the one we hatched was killed by a predator last weekend.

Lou...our other duck was so sad, but we have found her a friend...who is 7 months old and used to kids...and eats treats out of hands. We pick up our new friend tomorrow. The people are moving so it worked out well for all of us.

We miss Pip but have wonderful memories and learned some hard lessons.

Will post pictures of our newest member soon!

Oh! So sorry :hugs
Look forward to seeing the new one though.

Hi...yes, baby made some progress. At least I feel it can breathe now. No movement on the other 8...hopefully when I get home the other 8 are wobbling.

Attached is the progress from external pip...the last 24 hours. About how much longer until the sweet baby hatches...24 hours or longer?

Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom