Help Please 4 Week Old PBR Sexing!

_jozzzlynn_

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2023
These are my 6 PBR chicks and I just wanted opinions on what y’all think the sexes are! TIA!
IMG_1273.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    979.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    785.9 KB · Views: 6
These are my 6 PBR chicks
What breed do you mean by "PBR"? It helps if you write it out in full at least once, because there are so many breeds and some have the same letters in their names.

One of the major hatcheries sells Prairie Bluebell [something] chicks.

Barred Rocks might be BR, or the long form of the name would be Barred Plymouth Rocks (BPR).

and I just wanted opinions on what y’all think the sexes are! TIA!
View attachment 3639967
Are these the same ones you were asking about the breed in another thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bsl-pullets-or-barred-rocks.1597805/

If they are the same chicks, it is too early to tell what sexes they are.

For example, the last two would be females (if they are pure Barred Rocks) because of their overall dark color. But those same chicks would have to be males (if they are Black Sexlinks) because they do have white barring.

They will need to be a bit older before we can tell by comb & wattle growth, which will work no matter what breed they actually are. They are at the age where another 2-3 weeks will often make a big difference.

What breed do you mean by "PBR"? It helps if you write it out in full at least once, because there are so many breeds and some have the same letters in their names.

One of the major hatcheries sells Prairie Bluebell [something] chicks.

Barred Rocks might be BR, or the long form of the name would be Barred Plymouth Rocks (BPR).

Are these the same ones you were asking about the breed in another thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bsl-pullets-or-barred-rocks.1597805/

If they are the same chicks, it is too early to tell what sexes they are.

For example, the last two would be females (if they are pure Barred Rocks) because of their overall dark color. But those same chicks would have to be males (if they are Black Sexlinks) because they do have white barring.

They will need to be a bit older before we can tell by comb & wattle growth, which will work no matter what breed they actually are. They are at the age where another 2-3 weeks will often make a big difference.
Yes sorry! So I ended up calling the hatchery that TSC gets their chicks from and they are 100% Plymouth Barred Rocks. TSC just mislabeled the breed!

Yes sorry! So I ended up calling the hatchery that TSC gets their chicks from and they are 100% Plymouth Barred Rocks. TSC just mislabeled the breed!

In that case, the last two are definitely females. (The ones with individual photos.)
The other ones I am not as sure about.
They might all be females, or you might have some males.

Did the hatchery say whether they had shipped sexed pullets, or whether they were straight run?

By the way, "Plymouth Rock" is the breed name. "Barred" is the color.
So they would be "Barred Plymouth Rock," which would be BPR. You don't stick the color in the middle of the breed name. (Other colors: White Plymouth Rock, Buff Plymouth Rock, Partridge Plymouth Rock, etc. Color first, then the whole name of the breed.)

In that case, the last two are definitely females. (The ones with individual photos.)
The other ones I am not as sure about.
They might all be females, or you might have some males.

Did the hatchery say whether they had shipped sexed pullets, or whether they were straight run?

By the way, "Plymouth Rock" is the breed name. "Barred" is the color.
So they would be "Barred Plymouth Rock," which would be BPR. You don't stick the color in the middle of the breed name. (Other colors: White Plymouth Rock, Buff Plymouth Rock, Partridge Plymouth Rock, etc. Color first, then the whole name of the breed.)
Oh okay! I am a first time chicken Owner so I dont know all the specifics yet haha. They were sold to me as pullets.

Back
Top Bottom